Why become a University Staff Ambassador?
- We all work at a large, complex, and exciting University. There is more happening at Missouri State every day than any of us can fathom. What if you were given an opportunity to learn more about what happens here? What if you were given an opportunity to learn new skills and meet new people – people you probably see on the sidewalk now, but don’t know? Would you take advantage of that opportunity? If you are a full-time staff member at the University, the USA Program has been designed to provide you that opportunity. Just take a look at the curriculum and decide for yourself.
- While the program has been designed and will be coordinated by the Office of the Vice President for Administrative Services, departments and individuals from throughout all three campuses are participating in the delivery of the curriculum to ensure participants receive a 360-degree view of the University.
- We think that as you learn more about your University, your appreciation for what it does, how things happen, and how you contribute toward its mission will grow. Graduates will truly become "Staff Ambassadors" for the University.
Who is eligible to participate in the USA Program?
- Any full-time staff member who has been employed full-time for a minimum of one year by the start date of that year's program is eligible to apply. Both classified and unclassified staff from every job category are eligible to participate.
How much of my time will it take to participate in the program if I'm selected?
- The program will consist of 12 "program days" or sessions. These days will typically begin at 8:30 a.m. and end by 4:30 p.m., but some days may vary a bit. One session will be held each month, beginning in July of each year and ending in June of the following year.
- Each class member will work with their "team" on a small project the scheduled program days.
- Staff considering the program are strongly encouraged to check their schedules against the scheduled program dates. Class members are allowed to miss no more than two days within the program to graduate from the USA Program.
How much will it cost me to participate if selected?
- There is no cost to the employee. If selected, your department, dean, and/or vice president/provost will contribute funding toward the total cost of the program. Since each division coordinates payment differently, you may wish to check with your vice president/provost on the funding source for your participation (e.g. whether your departmental budget or a central division budget will fund). This does not include funding for temporary replacement staff. Thus, you should take participation seriously and attend as if you were funding this expense out of your own pocket.
How many years will this program be offered?
- If there is enough demand and if the program is deemed effective, we hope to offer this program every year. This determination will be made on a year-to-year basis.
What will be expected of the class members after they graduate from the USA Program?
- Graduates of the USA Program may be asked to assist in the coordination of future year's sessions. Individuals exhibiting leadership potential within the program may be asked to lead special projects within the University in the future.
How do I apply to be considered?
- Application forms are available in the Office of Administrative Services (Carrington Hall, room 104) and on the web at www.missouristate.edu/USA Applications must be received in the Office of Administrative Services by the deadline to be considered for the next year's class. See application for deadline date. Hand delivery of completed applications is recommended.
How are staff selected for the program?
- Membership for each class will be selected by each respective vice president/provost. A diverse class composition is desired, so staff from a variety of job types will be selected from the applicant pool. Staff should consider it an honor to be selected for this program.
How many staff will be selected each year?
- Twenty-five staff will be selected for the program each year. These individuals will form that year’s "class" and will go through the year-long program together as a group.
When will I be notified that I was either selected or not selected for the program?
- We will notify applicants by the end of June as to whether they were selected for the next year’s program.
What if I apply, but am not selected for the program?
- Since each year's class consists of only 25 participants, not all applicants can be selected each year. Selection into the USA Program is considered an honor. Not being selected into a class should not be construed as meaning you are not worthy of the program. If you are not selected, you are encouraged to apply again the following year.