The office of university communications has an opening for a graduate assistant to begin in June 2013. The assistantship is for the fall, spring and summer semesters. Preference will be given to candidates who are able to make a two-year commitment.
The goal of the office of university communications is to assist Missouri State University in attaining its recruitment, enrollment and advancement objectives through focused public relations activities. The public relations graduate assistant contributes to this goal through writing, technical support and other tasks.
Applications are due by Friday, April 5.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Writing content for the academic website redesign project
- Writing feature articles for university spotlights and News-Leader articles
- Covering university news and events by writing news releases and news tips
- Maintaining university communications and other university websites using content management system
- Tracking and categorizing media coverage of the university via online media monitoring system
Other duties might include:
- Taping and editing audio and/or video podcasts
- Writing articles for the alumni magazine
- Writing hometown news releases on student achievements
- Maintaining online calendar
- Must have a bachelor’s degree, preferably in communication, public relations, creative writing, technical writing or English
- Must be admitted to a graduate program and meet minimum qualifications for a Graduate Assistant, as set forth by the Graduate College
- Strong interviewing, writing and proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to research complex subjects and identify key concepts or issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of or ability to learn basic web maintenance skills, utilizing a content management system
- Ability to work Monday - Friday for a total of 20 hours per week
- Experience with audio and/or video taping and editing
- Experience with website maintenance
- Please review the information about graduate assistantships before applying.
- Applicants are required to complete a graduate assistant application.
- A cover letter, the completed application, a resume and two writing samples should be emailed to AndreaMostyn@missouristate.edu.
For more information, contact Andrea Mostyn, assistant director of university communications, at (417) 836-6397.