Admitted Transfer Student To-Do List

This to-do list has been developed to assist you in your transition to Missouri State University! If you have questions or experience problems, please call the Office of Admissions at 800-492-7900 or 417-836-5517 or send an email to Download a print-friendly to-do list [PDF].

If you have fewer than 24 transferable hours you are required to attend a Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration (SOAR) session. You can learn more about SOAR.

Obtain your student identification number (BearPass number) and account access

Visit My Missouri State and use your BearPass number to create a BearPass ID and password. Your BearPass ID and password will be used to access your information portal for many functions, services, and resources at Missouri State, including registration, so be sure they are memorable. After you create your BearPass ID and password, you will be prompted to set-up your University email account, which you must have as it is used by the University for official communication.

Complete orientation

Complete transfer student orientation

After establishing your My Missouri State account, you should complete the online orientation, which will take about 15 minutes to complete. This is required in order to register for classes.

You can access the transfer orientation by logging into your My Missouri State portal, clicking on the academics tab, scrolling to the Transfer Student Channel and selecting the transfer orientation. Be sure to complete the verification process.

Review your transfer credit evaluation

It is important that you understand your transfer credit evaluation. You can access your transfer credit evaluation on the transfer student channel under the academics tab on My Missouri State. For explanations of course codes and to better understand your evaluation, visit the Understanding Your Transfer Credit Evaluation web page.

Meet with your advisor

You are required to confer with an academic advisor before you register for your first semester. Visit the Transfer Advisement website to see the transfer advisor list and contact the academic advisor of your major. Please call as soon as possible to make an appointment with an academic advisor. You will not be able to register until you have been given a release by an advisor.

Adult Student Services

If you have been out of school for an extended period of time, are married or have children, plan to attend part-time, in the evening or have other special questions or needs sometimes experienced by adult students returning to school, then we encourage you to contact the Office of Adult Student Services and Evening College at 417-836-6929 or 877-678-2005. They can provide advising assistance and information about special orientation and registration options.

Join the online MSU New Student Community

The MSU New Student Community is a private online community just for newly admitted students. Meet new people, find a potential roommate, and connect with other students who share your interests, major, and housing preferences. Admitted students will be emailed an invitation to join. Join to start meeting people today.

Register for classes

Registration tools

Transfer students are eligible to register with MSU students that have comparable credit hours. To view when you will be able to register for classes, and for other helpful tools and information (such as a registration demo video), visit the Registration website. To register online, you will need to login to My Missouri State, select the academics tab, then us the registration tools section. If you need assistance with the registration process, visit the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320.

Math placement

If you have not taken Math 103 or higher, then you may need to take a placement exam. For more information, visit the Math Placement at Missouri State University web page.

Final transcripts

If you were admitted prior to completing all coursework at another college or university, be sure to request that your institution send a final, official transcript to the Missouri State Office of Admissions Office after your grades for the last semester have been posted. If you have completed an Associate of Arts degree (AA or AAT) or 42-hour certified block, please have that noted on your transcript so you’ll receive proper credit.

Apply for financial aid

Missouri State offers a comprehensive program of financial assistance including transfer scholarships (March 1 or October 1 deadlines). To learn more, visit the Scholarships web page. If you wish to be considered for financial aid but have not already completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you may do so at For additional information please contact the Missouri State Office of Financial Aid at 417-836-5262 or 800-283-4243 in Carrington Hall, Room 101.


If you are a veteran or the dependent of a veteran planning to utilize your education benefits please contact the Office for Veteran Student Services.

Haven training

Haven is a required online course for all incoming freshmen and transfer students to complete to initiate understanding of consent, sexual assault, relationship violence, and bystander intervention. If Part 1 of this course is not completed by the student prior to his/her second-semester registration date within their first year at Missouri State University, a registration hold will be placed on the student’s account. This hold will be lifted from the account after completion of Haven training.

  • Log in to My Missouri State, go under the Academics tab and find the New Student or Transfer Student section. Within this square, there is a training section and the Haven link is in this area. To access Haven, choose the link and you can begin.

Course problems? Contact Emma Wessel, Dean of Students Graduate Assistant at or at 417-836-5527. Those with disabilities who may not be able to access Haven because of the instructional format or design of the training program may request an accommodation by contacting the Disability Resource Center at or 417-836-4192

Apply for housing

On-Campus: The best place to live is on campus. It is affordable, convenient, FUN and safe. View the Residence Life and Services website for housing options. Single students under 21 with fewer than 30 hours of transferable hours (earned after high school graduation) are required to live in university housing and must complete an application for university housing or successfully appeal. If you have questions, please contact the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services, located in Hammons House, Room 104, by calling 417-836-5536 or 800-284-7535.

On-Campus meal plan: To purchase an on-campus meal plan, visit

Off-Campus: To learn about off-campus housing, visit the Springfield Housing and Living website.

Obtain BearPass card and parking permit

To pick up your BearPass Card (Missouri State Student ID) go to Plaster Student Union, Room 128. You will need a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license or state ID) to obtain your BearPass Card, but there is no charge. Please verify that your name in the admission letter we sent you is the same as your government-issued ID. If it is different you will have difficulty getting your BearPass Card. If you need to change your name on our record to match your government-issued ID please contact the Office of the Registrar at 417-836-5520.

To obtain a Missouri State parking permit you must register the vehicle(s) you will be driving with the Parking Administration Office, Transit Operations Center, 700 E. Elm. Hours of operation are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. For more information, call 417-836-4825 or visit the Parking Administration website.

Get involved at Missouri State

Involved students are more likely to graduate, feel more connected to the university, the campus and the people, and are more familiar with university resources. Those students report higher levels of satisfaction with their college experience. A great way to get involved at Missouri State is participation in one of our 300+ student organizations. View the Student Organizations web page for a list of these organizations.

Reserve your books

You may reserve books online at the Textbook Reservation web page, or purchase them while you are on campus at the University Bookstore. The Bookstore is open year round for the purchase of textbooks, course materials, BearWear and much more. For additional information and hours please visit the University Bookstore website or contact them at 417-836-5403. Books may be charged to your student account.

Visit campus

Visiting campus and taking a tour can be very helpful in your transition and many of the items on this list can be done while on campus. To schedule a tour, visit the Visit Campus website or call Admissions at 417-836-6614. If you come to campus to complete one or more of the above items, visit the Visitor Parking website for parking options. We do, however, recommend stopping at the Transit Operations Center to purchase a $2 visitor parking permit so you do not have to feed the meters.

Review your transfer credit evaluation

It is important that you understand your transfer credit evaluation. You can access your transfer credit evaluation on the transfer student channel under the academics tab on My Missouri State. For explanations of course codes and to better understand your evaluation, visit the Understanding Your Transfer Credit Evaluation web page.