The admission process
To gain full admittance into the social work program, follow the steps below:
- Declare or change your major to social work by visiting the Academic Advisement Center.
- Attend Required BSW Information Meeting to be assigned a permanent advisor.
- Meet with your assigned advisor to develop a plan of study.
- Complete the program’s admission requirements.
When you declare your major, you will be listed as a pre-major until you satisfy all admission requirements.
Eligibility to apply
Once accepted to MSU, students are eligible to apply for admission into the BSW Program when the following conditions are met:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 hours with a combined GPA (Missouri State and transfer combined) of 2.50 or higher on a 4-point scale
- Completion of the Foundations Courses for General Education except the second writing course
- Completion or concurrent enrollment in SWK 200(3), SWK 213(3), and SWK 219(3) with a minimum grade of "C". Candidates whose application is reviewed positively will not have admission to the Program until grades of "C" or better are recorded for these courses at the close of the application semester.
- Special consideration for admission to the BSW Program will be given for those students who have completed SWK 300(1), Citizenship and Service Learning in Social Work (CASL), which is a one hour course taken concurrently with one of three courses: SWK 200, Introduction to Social Work; SWK 213(3) Social Welfare Policy and Services; or SWK 219(3) Human Diversity. A 40-hour volunteer/work experience in a human service agency within three years prior to application for admission can be substituted for this CASL experience with permission of the BSW Program Coordinator.
Admission to the Bachelor of Social Work Program
Students seeking admission to the BSW Program do so with the understanding that: (a) admission is competitive and selective and not all who apply can be accommodated; and (b) meeting the minimum standards does not guarantee a student will be admitted. The BSW committee will make a decision to admit based on a holistic picture of the completed course work and values that are consistent with the conduct of the profession and the Social Work Code of Ethics.
Students who are planning to pursue a BSW degree must complete the following steps:
- Declare a major in the Social Work Program within the University which places the student in pre-admit status.
- When a student is eligible to apply for admitted status, the student must submit a formal application, with accompanying forms, to the School of Social Work office. Directions for completing the packets will be included within the application packet. Applications for admission to the Program will be available online. Refer to the application packet for specific due dates because the dates can vary. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Incomplete applications may result in not being considered.
- Students will be notified, prior to registration, if they are admitted into the BSW Program. If the student is not admitted, the student will be responsible for meeting with his/her advisor to transition into another major.