Following your passion for social work
To begin course work in the field of social work, you initially need to be admitted to Missouri State. Before completing 75 credit hours, you must also be admitted to a degree program.
The social work program operates under a selective admissions policy to maintain a program of excellence in the classroom, to assure availability of quality internship placements and to ensure a qualified and ethical workforce.
Eligibility to apply
Students are eligible to apply for admission into the BSW program when the following conditions are met:
- Completion of a minimum of 45 hours with a combined GPA (Missouri State and transfer combined) of 2.50 or higher on a 4-point scale
- Completion of the Basic Required Courses for General Education except Writing II
- Completion of SWK 200, 219, 306, 325, and 313, with a minimum grade of "C". Special consideration for admission to the BSW program will be given for those students who have completed SWK 300, Citizenship and Service Learning (CASL), which is a one-hour course attached to one of three courses: (a) SWK 200, Introduction to Social Work; (b) SWK 219, Human Diversity; or (c) SWK 306, Interviewing Skills in Generalist Social Work Practice. A 40-hour volunteer/work experience in a human service agency within three years prior to application for admission can be substituted for this CASL experience with permission of the BSW Program Coordinator.
Admission to the Bachelor of Social Work program
Students, who are planning to pursue a BSW degree, must declare a major in the social work program within the University.
Students are encouraged to meet with their advisor in the School of Social Work prior to or upon entering the University and, at least, once a semester thereafter to ensure the proper selection and sequencing of prerequisites for the BSW program.
Every student seeking admission to the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program must submit a formal application, with accompanying forms, to the School of Social Work office, in accordance with the due date that semester. Directions for completing the packets will be included within the application packet.
Applications for admission to the program will be available once a semester. For fall admission, packets can be picked up early in the spring semester. For spring admission, packets can be picked up early in the fall semester. Refer to the application packet for specific due dates.
Students seeking admission to the BSW program do so with the understanding that: (a) admission is competitive and selective and not all who apply can be accommodated; and (b) meeting the minimum standards does not guarantee a student will be admitted.
The decision to admit a student to the BSW program will be based on the holistic picture of the completed course work and values that are consistent with the conduct of the profession and the Social Work Code of Ethics.
The admission process
To gain full admittance into the social work program, follow the steps below:
- Declare or change your major to social work by visiting the Academic Advisement Center, University Hall 109
- Meet with your assigned advisor to discuss admission requirements and to develop a plan of study
- Complete the program’s admission requirements
- Work with the School of Social Work to complete the Application to a Degree Program form to update your record
When you declare your major, you will be listed as a pre-major until you satisfy all admission requirements.