Pursuing advanced social work study
The Master of Social Work (MSW) program at Missouri State is a selective admission program. The decision to admit new students depends not only upon the quality of the applicants who apply in general, but also upon the number of applicants applying and the number of seats available each year. Therefore, the level of selectiveness may vary from year to another.
Application and admission timeline
The MSW program admits students only for summer or fall terms each year with an application deadline of January 31 at 5:00 p.m. Deadlines will be strictly enforced so applicants are encouraged to apply early. Summer admission is only for those with eligible BSW degrees no more than 7 years old from an accredited social work program.
Formal review of applications begins around mid to late January of the admissions year. Applications to the program should be reviewed within 60 days of receipt of a completed application packet, or after Jan. 20, whichever date is later. A final admissions decision may be suspended longer than this depending on where the applicant ranks in the initial application review by the MSW admissions committee.
Applicants are asked to be patient during this process. You are welcome to inquire on the status of you application if you have not heard anything by the end of April.
Application Materials and Requirements
All MSW program applicants must complete the required application materials and procedures below. Note that certain items must be turned into the School of Social Work (SSW) office, while others must be submitted directly to the Graduate College office.
Items or Procedures for Graduate College office:
- Submit official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. All MSW applicants must take the GRE exam. Scores are good for upto five years from the date of application. There are no minimum cutoffs; all GRE scores will be evaluated.
- Submit all prior college transcripts and course work.
- Complete a Graduate College Application. To apply to the Graduate College, please click here.
- Pay the required application fee.
Items or Procedures for SSW department office:
- Complete a department application for the MSW program. See links below to access this form.
- Submit a written personal statement essay that conforms to the requirements set forth in the MSW program website. (See Personal Essay link below)
- Submit three letters of reference that indicate the applicant’s potential to be successful in graduate study and/or to become an effective, independent, professional social worker.(References are encouraged to submit a typed letter but must use the SSW Recommendation Form or the refence will not be accepted) (See links below to access this form).
- MSW Degree Checklist & MSW Application Instructions Sheet.(See links below to access this form)
- A campus visit or personal interview on the applicant’s own expense on the Springfield campus required prior to admission.