Admission Requirements for the Regular MSW Program
Applicants to the Regular MSW program must meet the following requirements to be considered for admission to the full-time or part-time MSW program:
- Applicants must have earned a bachelor's degree from a college or university accredited by a regional agency recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation.
- Applicants must have earned an overall GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.00 scale for all undergraduate course work taken. The GPA for upper-division course work (last 60 hours) in undergraduate classes may be used if higher than the overall GPA and if this GPA is calculated by the Graduate College or a referring college office.
Notes with regard to the GPA:
- Those with less than a 3.25 who have exceptional qualifications toward becoming a professional social worker are welcome to apply and may be considered, but are not guaranteed an admission review (based on the number of applications which meet the minimum standards).
- Applicants who have completed at least 9 hours of graduate coursework from a particular program of study related to social work may request this GPA to be considered in addition to the above.
Prerequisites: Applicants must show evidence of a bachelors degree that encompasses a liberal arts perspective with at least 9 credits of social science, child, family or aging studies preferred. A liberal arts perspective is considered a program of study that involves classes from many of all of the following areas: economics, history or geography; natural, applied or life science; humanities, philosophy or literature; writing or other communication studies; mathematics or statistics; and social or human sciences.
Applicants must also have taken at least 3 credits in research design and/or statistics with a grade of C or better, preferably in the social sciences, as evidenced in the departmental application and student transcript.
Admission Requirements for the Advanced Standing Program
Advanced Standing program applicants must meet the admission requirement listed under #2 for the Regular MSW program and also meet the following requirements:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work from an undergraduate program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education no longer than seven years prior to admission to the MSW program.
- Have no more than one grade of “C” and no grades below C in social work major courses.