1. Call to Order - A regular meeting of the Staff Senate of Missouri State University was called to order at Plaster Student Union, Room 313 at 1:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call -
Present - Sherry Adams, Patrick Byers, Allison Crocker, Tara Horton, Steve Mills, D. Lynn Singleton, Veronica Adinegara, Mike Clark, Diana Garland, Phyllis Kenney, Phil Nichols, Scott Walker, Ben Boslaugh, Sara Clark, Norm Griffith, David Liss, Marline Ritter, Lisa McEowen-LeVangie
Absent - Sue Alvers, Antoinette Foster (SGA), Cheryl Pawling, Tami Sutton, Belinda Davis, LaDonna Hansen, Lois Shufeldt (Faculty Senate), Earle Doman, Monya McMichael, Chris Strodtman
Guests - Ginger Allard, Dale Moore, Donna Smith
Phil Nichols, Chairperson, presided and Diana Garland, Chair Elect recorded the proceedings of the meeting.
3. Announcements - The Staff Senate Public Affairs Committee announced the fourth 2004 Lunch Hour Lecture Series presentation in conjunction with the Missouri State Centennial Celebration and Public Affairs Week. Dr Don Landon is to present "State Normal School to Missouri State: Where We"ve Been and Where We"re Going" on Tuesday, September 14, at noon.
4. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the open, regular meeting of August 5, 2004 were approved.
5. Report from the Chair - Phil Nichols - Diana Garland, Chair Elect, gave a brief report of the July Board of Governors" meeting. This was the first board meeting of the semester, which consisted of routine reports. The Board went into closed session early.
6. Committee Reports -
- Budget and Priorities Committee, Lisa McEowen-LeVangie-Chair - Lisa McEowen-LeVangie, Chair, reminded the Senate that the Staff Senate Budget Procedures had been approved at the August meeting with specific dates to be followed to allow the Staff Senate to make timely recommendations to the University Budget and Priorities Committee, which represent the priority items from the Staff Senate Survey. Lisa reminded the Senate that there was usually a 25-30% return rate for the survey. After discussion it was unanimously approved by the Senate to have the survey open August 30-September 10 with an open forum to discuss the results on September 30. Phil and Lisa mentioned they would have paper copies of the survey for those who do not have computer access.
- Public Relations Committee, Tara Horton-Chair - Tara Horton, Chair, reported the committee would be promoting the survey, the Lunch Hour Lecture Series and Denim Day. She also mentioned that the daughter of former Senator, Cindi Giacin, would be getting her hair cut for Locks of Love on October 4. The Public Relations Committee will be presenting possible staff logos to the Staff Senate for discussion at the October meeting.
- Veterans Committee Report, Phil Nichols-Chair - Phil Nichols reported that the Veterans Recognition Committee was still seeking an addition $500 for the proposed book of Missouri State alumni, faculty, staff and student veterans" stories and pictures.
- Health Care Committee, David Liss and Ben Boslaugh-Staff Senate Representatives - David Liss reported the committee had an 11-page report that was going to be presented to the Board of Governors at the September meeting. David reported on the recommended changes. Ben Boslaugh reported that the committee was pushing to align the Cafeteria plan date with the physical year for ease of budgeting.
- Centennial Celebration Committee, Diana Garland - Diana Garland report that the display case was on campus, on the second floor of Carrington, and the committee was still working on the contents to be displayed and the date of a dedication.
- Salary & Compensation System Taskforce, Phil Nichols-Member - Phil Nichols gave a brief report. He indicated that the task force was working toward phasing in a new salary system to get the University at market value and eliminate the step system. The task force is targeting a completion date of November.
- Human Resources Planning Task Force, Phil Nichols-Member - Phil Nichols reported that vacation accrual and summer work hours were two items recommended last year from Staff Senate, but the administration had taken no action on those issues. Phil and Lisa McEowen-LeVangie will defend the proposal again to the administration.
The Senate discussed the job evaluation review with the mention of a consultant to work on that evaluation.
- Presidential Search Committee, Phil Nichols-Member - Phil Nichols reported that search is underway, the advertisements are out, and that the search will close November 8.
7. Unfinished Business - There was no unfinished business.
8. New Business -
- Staff Excellent Awards - Phil Nichols - Phil Nichols reported that Scott Walker and Cindi Giacin will be the Staff Senate representatives on the Staff Excellent Awards committee. The awards will consist of $1,500 awards to be awarded to six staff members. The Senate unanimously voted that staff from the Springfield, West Plains, and Mountain Grove campuses would be eligible for the awards. The Senate also recommended that someone from the West Plains Staff Advisory Council be added to the
- Public Affairs Week - Diana Garland - Diana Garland reported that Public Affairs Week is September 13-16 and that Staff Senate would have a table representing the Senate, the Veterans Committee, and the Denim Day Committee.
The next regular meeting will begin at 1:30 p.m. on October 7, 2004 in Plaster Student Union room 313.
The meeting adjourned at 2:35 p.m.
Chair Elect Staff Senate