1. Call to Order A regular meeting of the Staff Senate of Missouri State University was called to order at Plaster Student Union, PSU 313 at 1:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call -
Present - Veronica Adinegara, Earle Doman, Norm Griffith, Tara Horton, Phil Nichols, Tami Sutton, Steve Mills, Sue Alvers, Wendy Ferguson, LaDonna Hansen, Phyllis Kenney, Dennis Perry, Scott Walker, Guy DeVault, Diana Garland, Terrill Harvey, Davis Liss, Jason Rhea, Ben Boslaugh (arrived late)
Absent - Sherry Adams, Belinda Davis, Monya McMichael, Sara Clark, Marline Faherty, Cheryl Pawling, Chris Curtis (SGA), Barb Jones, Rhonda Ridinger (Faculty Senate)
Guests - None
3. Guest Speaker - Dr. Earle Doman, Dean of Students and Melissa LaBrat presented a powerpoint presentation regarding the vision for a Student Recreation Center.
4. Announcements -
Phil Nichols, Chair, began the meeting with a hearty thanks to all that contributed to the Paul Randolph family Paul is a plumber with Missouri State that lost his house and belongs to a fire in December. Phil reported that $2,200 in cash and numerous gifts of clothing and toys, etc had been collected.
Phil reported that President Keiser was very appreciative of the resolution of thanks for his years of service to Missouri State that he received from the Staff Senate at the Staff Awards Banquet held on January 4.
Phil reported that the vacation accrual rate and procedure was still being addressed and that no decision had been made.
He also stated that he was aware of the electrical cord problem with the staff centennial display case.
Finally he reported that the responses to the Higher Learning Commission Self-Study were complete and that they had been forwarded on to Dr. Bill Cheek, Chair of the Higher Learning Commission Self-Study Steering Committee.
Phil at that time turned the meeting over to Dr. Diana Garland, Chair-Elect.
5. Call for Officers - Diana began her tenure as 2005 Chair by asking for nominations for 2005 Chair-Elect and Secretary. Ben Boslaugh was nominated for Chair-Elect and Sue Alvers for Secretary. Upon their acceptance, both were unanimously approved.
Diana also at this time appointed Steve Mills to serve as Parliamentarian and Phil Nichols to serve as Chair of the Budget and Priorities Committee for the 2005 year.
Diana also noted that she had appointed Sherry Adams to represent the Staff Senate on the temporary task force organized by Greg Burris to work on details of how to best implement the change of vacation accrual and that Phyllis Kenney and Tara Horton will represent Staff Senate on the focus group for Human Resources to update the staff handbook.
6. Thank You to Outgoing Officers - Diana Garland, Chair, presented a gift to Phil Nichols and Tami Sutton to thank them for their service as officers during the 2004 year.
7. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the open, regular meeting of December 4, 2004, were approved.
8. Report from the Chair - Phil Nichols and Diana Garland -
Phil Nichols, outgoing Chair gave a brief overview of the budgets for the Senate General Fund, Senate Special Events and the Senate Veterans Recognition for 2004.
- Senate General Fund - $1,721.51
- Senate Special Events - $0
- Senate Veteran's Recognition - $656.90
Phil asked if anyone had any questions regarding the handout detailing the report to please contact him.
9. Committee Reports -
- Budget and Priorities Committee, Phil Nichols-Chair - Phil gave a brief report.
- Public Affairs Committee, Phyllis Kenney-Chair - Phyllis reported that the committee had submitted a request to the Staff Senate for funding for three lunch-hour lectures during spring 2005. The funding request will be covered during the new business session of this meeting.
- Public Relations Committee, Tara Horton-Chair - Tara Horton gave a brief update on the status of the Staff Senate logo.
- Health Care Committee, David Liss-Member - David Liss gave a brief report.
- Faculty Senate Report, Norm Griffith and Allison Crocker-Staff Senate Representatives - Norm Griffith gave a brief report.
- Veterans Recogition Committee, Phil Nichols-Member - Phil Nichols reported that the Committee is moving forward with the idea of publishing a book on Missouri State Veterans.
10. Unfinished Business -
Dr. Earle Doman, Co-Chair, Missouri State Centennial Celebration Committee gave a brief update about the upcoming Missouri State Centennial Gala giveaway. He reported that 100 tickets were going to be drawn to giveaway for the Centennial Gala event on March 18. For further information and to register online for the drawing please visit
11. New Business -
The budget request for the Public Affairs Committee was discussed during this portion of the meeting. The request is for $495.00 for funding of three lunch-hour lecture series during spring 2005. The funding was discussed and approved.
The next regular meeting will begin at 1:30 p.m. on February 3, 2005 in Plaster Student Union room 313.
The meeting adjourned at 2:45 p.m.
Staff Senate Secretary