1. Call to Order - A regular meeting of the Staff Senate of Missouri State University was called to order at Plaster Student Union, Room 313 at 1:30 p.m.
2. Roll Call -
Present - John Avery, F. Chris Brown, Chris Brown, Kelly Brown, Patrick Byers, Belinda Davis, Ed DeLong, Mary Lynne Golden, Lisa McEowen-LeVangie, Sharon Lopinot, David Liss, Steve Mills, Lisa Reed, Alan Roland, Edie Sartin, Gary L.R. Smith, Edie Sartin, Myril Stewart, Sara Clark
Absent - Chuck Donald, SuzAnn Ferguson, Betty Lewis, Fran Phillips
Guests - Dee Ledl, Paula Wilhelm, Cindy Fiedler, Karen Clark, Jeff Adams, Ron Boaz, Phil Nichols, Diana Garland, Larry Dudley
Mary Lynne, Golden, Chairperson, presided and Edie Sartin recorded the proceedings of the meeting.
3. Guest Speaker Jeff Adams and Cindy Fiedler - Jeff Adams, Marketing Specialist for Continuing and Professional Education, spoke on the Relay for Life to be held on campus April 26-27. The fundraiser is for the American Cancer Society. Cindy Fiedler, Academic Advisor, Advisement Center, spoke on ideas for fund raising and how to set up teams. At the Relay for Life kickoff a total of 96 teams expressed interest in participating. More information is available by linking to the Staff Senate home page:www.missouristate.edu/staffsenate.
4. Guest speaker Paula Wilhelm - Paula Wilhelm, Training and Development Coordinator, Human Resources, presented a power point presentation on the Missouri State Professional Development Programs offered to staff. These programs are available to enhance the University mission statement "to develop educated persons" and focus on Leadership, Supervision, Computer Technologies, Diversity, Process Improvement and Customer Service. These programs collaborate with University departments and agencies off campus for development and implementation. She discussed courses offered and the online registration system. A Professional Development Brochure is published in the fall, spring and summer. More information is available on the Faculty and Staff Professional Development home page:www.missouristate.edu/human/training.
5. Issues and Concerns - Sara Clark, Issues and Concerns Committee chairman presented the recommendations from their last meeting held January 17, 2002. The priorities discussed for this year include: increased vacation accrual, increased tuition fee waivers, staff awards and short-term disability.
6. Short Term Disability - Phil Nichols, Short-term Disability Committee member, presented the four proposed options that are to be presented to the Faculty Senate on February 13, 2002. Staff Senate voted on Option A: The Sick Leave Bank as the preferred option. All four options will be presented to the Faculty Senate.
7. Faculty Senate Report - Myril Stewart discussed the parking resolution approved by Faculty Senate to place parking fees on a pre-tax basis and allows monthly payroll deduction. In a talk with the Faculty Senate, VPAA Bruno Schmidt indicated that student fees from increased student enrollment could be a possible source for salary raises.
8. New Business - Mary Lynne Golden discussed the President's Council meeting and the new motor pool policies and procedures. Also discussed was the issue of faculty and staff raises for this year. Mary Lynne presented Sara Clark and Diana Garland denim shirts for their outstanding service in 2001.
January minutes were approved.
9. Announcements -
The next meeting of the Staff Senate will be held Thursday, March 7, 2002, at 1:30 p.m. in Plaster Student Union 313.
A motion to adjourn was made, seconded and passed. Staff Senate adjourned at 2:45.