1. Call to Order - Konya Knackstedt called to order the regular meeting of Staff Senate at 1:30PM on May 6, 2010 in Plaster Student Union, 317.
2. Roll Call
Present: Konya Knackstedt, Tabitha Haynes, Cindi Barnett, Donald Clark, Mike Frizell, Marian Green, Charles Klarr, Cathy McFall, Janelle Melton, Kate Mendenhall, Dale Moore by proxy (Carolyn Mayer), Erin Parrish by proxy (Allison Overmyer), Dennis Perry, Terry Plank, Teresa Steele, Jamie Trussell, Kirk Whittington, Dixie Williams, and Mary Ann Wood by proxy (Toni Montgomery).
Absent: Sandy Arthur, John Avery, Debbie Branson, Debbie Casada, Corbin Campbell, Nadine Jones, Kyle Yates, Christopher Polley, and Christopher Herr
3. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the April 1, 2010 meeting were approved. A motion was made by Mike Frizell; 2nd by Dixie Williams and approved by all.
4. Guest: Tabitha Haynes – Tobacco Education Campaign
Tabitha reported that the website for the Tobacco Campaign is now up. It includes information about the Tobacco-free Policy that will go into effect 8/15/10. It also include education and awareness information.
5. Old Business
- Sick Day Pool – Konya Knackstedt reported. The committee is still working on draft. There are many issues still to be considered.
- Staff Picnic – May 26 – Dixie Williams reported. The picnic is scheduled from 11:30AM-1:30PM in the corral on the south side of the PSU. Everyone should bring their lunch. A dessert of ice cream, brownies, and cobbler will be available for $1.50. Staff Senate is also contributing $1 for each dessert. There will also be door prizes. A promo table for the Staff Senate Scholarships will be set up and accepting donations. A 50/50 drawing will also benefit the scholarship. Staff will be able to set up payroll deduction for the drawing or to make a donation.
- President’s Faculty and Staff Senates Financial Presentation – Konya Knackstedt reported. The power point presentation is on the Financial Outlook website.
- Springfield Cardinal’s tickets – Konya Knackstedt reported. Approximately 250+ have been sold. Tickets are still available from Konya.
6. New Business
- Selection of new Senators - Cathy McFall reported.
Outgoing Senators: New Senators:
John Avery Sandy Arthur
Debbie Branson Don Clark (additional term)
Don Clark Sandra Johnson
Marian Green Cathy McFall (additional term)
Konya Knackstedt Matthew Stublefield
Lynette Walker has resigned effective immediately. A vote will be taken next meeting to fill her position.
A motion was made by Mike Frizell to accept the new senators; 2nd by Dixie Williams; approved by all.
- Tent Theater – Tabitha Haynes reported. The staff night will be June 8 @ 8:15PM featuring “The Putnam County Spelling Bee”. Staff can sign up May 10-14 and a random drawing for all tickets will be held after May 14. Tickets will be available for pickup at the Staff Picnic on May 26.
- Financial Report – Konya Knackstedt reported. $375 was used to purchase Cardinal’s tickets. The $375 has already been reimbursed from ticket sales. Konya has also purchased approximately 200 notepads, 210 key chains, and 200 pens for new staff members. There are approximately 75 water bottles and mugs left over that will also be given out. It was also discussed that new and current senators should receive a key chain. A motion was made by Dixie Williams to use the key chains for special events such as picnic door prizes. The Staff Senate budget is $2,200. After purchasing the orientation items ($875.38), cancellation of the office phone ($25/month), there is a balance of approximately $700-800.
7. Committee Reports
- Executive Committee – Konya Knackstedt reported. The Executive Committee did not meet with Dr. Nietzel last month due to scheduling problems, but sent a recap of recent Staff Senate developments.
- Public Affairs - Tabitha Haynes reported. Tabitha Haynes requested a new chair due to her move to Staff Senate Chair; Saturday street clean-up will be rescheduled
8. Other Committee Reports:
- Faculty Senate Representation – Teresa Steele reported. Faculty Senate is considering unionization
- Wyrick Commission – Teresa Steele reported that all 5 proposals were approved by the students. This includes: wayfinding signage; current events marquee; light pole banners/ fence painting; Bear Park South count system; and four corner signage. Construction will be based on funds available.
- Presidential Search Candidates – Please try to attend all sessions to meet the candidates.
- Special Olympics Volunteers-May 26-28. If interested call Ashley at 800-846-2682
- Staff Picnic – May 26, Corral, 11:30-1:30, need donations for door prizes
- Springfield Cardinals – June 27 at 6:10, tickets only $6.00. Get your tickets today!
- PSU Art Gallery-The West Lounge of the PSU is now an art gallery. Stop by to check it out. A reception will be held on May 13, 5PM for the artist.
- FRESHENS – Opens today in the PSU Food Court serving frozen yogurt and smoothies. A Grand Opening will be held the week of May 10.
- 1st Friday Artwalk – May 7; The walk will include the lobby of the Morris Center
- MSU Fundraising – This has been a record year even in these economic times.
Adjourn – A motion was made by Dixie Williams to adjourn at 2:27PM; 2nd by Teresa Steele.
Next meeting: June 3, 2010 at 1:30 in PSU 313