1. Call to Order - Konya Knackstedt called to order the regular meeting of Staff Senate at 1:30PM on December 3, 2009 in Plaster Student Union, 313.
2. Roll Call - Cindi Barnett, Secretary, conducted roll call.
Present: Konya Knackstedt, Tabitha Haynes, Cindi Barnett, John Avery, Debbie Branson, Debbie Casada, Donald Clark, Corbin Campbell, Mike Frizell by proxy (Leonard McGownd), Marian Green, Nadine Jones by proxy (Crystal Vick), Charles Klarr, Cathy McFall, Kate Mendenhall, Dale Moore by proxy (Carolyn Mayer), Erin Parrish by proxy (Ken Williams), Terry Plank, Teresa Steele by proxy (Peggy Preston), Jamie Trussell by proxy (Mike Harders), Kirk Whittington, Dixie Williams, Mary Ann Wood by proxy (Tony Montgomery), Kyle Yates, Christopher Herr
Absent: Sandy Arthur, Lisa Langston, Janelle Melton, Dennis Perry, Lynette Walker, Chris Polley (SGA)
Guests: Kelly Barnts, Multicultural Student Services; Steve Mills, Computer Services
3. Approval of Minutes - The minutes of the November 5, 2009 meeting were approved, as revised. Motion made by Dixie Williams; seconded by Marian Green; approved by all members present.
4. Absences without proxy
- Discussion included moving meetings to 1PM instead of 1:30PM, when vacancies are created do not fill positions in specific job categories per bylaws and based upon current employee census, follow the bylaws by removing those with three consecutive absences without a proxy. This matter was tabled until the January meeting.
- Discussion led to how Staff Senate is perceived by other staff. A motion to send a newsletter to all staff once a month was made by Corbin Campbell; seconded by Leonard McGownd; approved by all with one disagreement.
- A motion was made to amend the original newsletter motion and approved by all.
- A revised motion was made by Dixie Williams to send out a monthly email to all staff one week before the next meeting with a short bulleted list of highlights from the previous meeting and also attaching the minutes for the past meeting and the agenda for the upcoming meeting. The motion was seconded by Marian Green and approved by all.
5. Fundraiser – Corbin asked if anyone still had candle forms to submit to him.
6. Town Hall Meetings - November 24
Questions and discussion – Konya mentioned that part of Dr. Nietzels proposal was a discussion about using the extra tuition revenue for staff making less than $30,000 annually.
7. Old Business
8. New Business
Telecommunications Charge-Staff Senate is billed a monthly data port charge of $5 that is never used. Motion made by Dixie Williams to disconnect; Corbin Campbell seconded; approved by all members present.
- Presidential Search Committee – Discussion on role of the Staff Senate in the process. Staff will be included in the process, but the procedure has not been finalized.
9. Staff Senate Committee Reports
- By Laws Revision Committee – Cathy McFall reported that the committee has met and is looking at benchmark institutions. They are working on an application process for senators.
- Budget and Priorities – Konya Knackstedt, no report
- Denim Days – Konya reported that they are still waiting for funds to clear
- Executive Committee – Konya Knackstedt – No meeting in November
- Public Affairs - Tabitha Haynes-No report
- Public Relations – Konya Knackstedt - No report
- Scholarship – Corbin Campbell-Candle fundraiser report in January
- Staff Activities – Dixie Williams reported that the committee has been talking about ideas
- Website Administration – Tabitha Haynes – No report
Other Committee Reports:
- Faculty Senate Representation – Tabitha Haynes and Teresa Steele
- Public Arts Committee – Marian Green – No report
- Smoke Free Campus Advisory Committee – Tabitha Haynes reported that the proposal went to Dr. Nietzel on 12/2/09
- Wyrick Commission – Teresa Steele- No report
Staff Awards Breakfast - Friday, January 8; PSU Ballroom; 6:30am and 8:00am
A motion to adjourn was made by Dixie Williams and seconded by Cathy McFall.
Next meeting: January 7, 2010