Missouri State University

November 7, 2013 Minutes

Presiding Officer:  Andrea Weber 

Actions of Meeting

Roll Call

  • Roll call was conducted using sign-in sheets
  • Members in Attendance:  Teressa Arnette, Tara Benson, Christina Bowles, Kelly Cara, Brian Edmond, Paul Essel, David Falls, Scott Fiedler, Andrew Garton, Sandra Johnson, Sharon Lopinot, Yvette Medley, Janelle Melton, Robert Moore, Charles Schoneboom, Gary Stafford, Andrea Weber, Karen Willde, Ryan Wilson
  • Proxy Members in Attendance:  Eric Shively (Job Family 3), Kirby Williams (SGA)
  • Members Absent (Excused):  Ian Alaimo, Brenda Stewart, Allison Overmyer, Dixie Williams
  • Members Absent (Unexcused):  Erin Trotter
  • Guests in Attendance:  Marilyn Robertson, Christy Hyman, David Schneider

Call to Order

  • Staff Senate had quorum
  • Meeting called to order at 11:05 AM by Chairperson, Andrea Weber

Approval of Agenda

  • Agenda was emailed prior to meeting
  • Motion to add an SGA report to the agenda by Andrea Weber
  • Second by Sharon Lopinot
  • Changes approved unanimously
  • Motion to approve agenda with changes by Andrew Garton
  • Second by Janelle Melton
  • Agenda approved unanimously

Approval of Minutes

  • October meeting minutes were emailed prior to meeting
  • Motion to approve minutes with no changes by Andrew Garton
  • Second by Yvette Medley
  • October minutes approved unanimously

Chair Report

  • Andrea Weber on behalf of guest speaker, Tyler Wirkus, who could not attend:
    • Phi Gamma Delta is presenting a community skate night event called Ice for the Fire
    • The event is a fundraiser that benefits Camp Barnabas and includes ice skating, raffles, a silent auction, a magic show, and photos with Santa
    • November 16th, 2013, from 1-3 PM at the Mediacom Ice Park
    • This year’s goal is to raise $5,000 to donate to Camp Barnabas
  • BOG meeting
    • Adult Sponsored Dependent program
    • Discussion about underrepresented students and how they have felt on campus
  • Master Planning Committee meeting:  Discussed strengths and weaknesses of physical campus
    • Area behind Blair-Shannon with trash dumpsters needs to be visually improved
    • Beauty on campus:  FRC and some of the gardens, fountains, and other buildings
    • Buildings need to be upgraded
    • New campus welcome center will be mostly windows with a theater in center
  • Wall of Fame – six new inductees
  • B.E.A.R. fee was passed.  Aim is to improve recreational spaces on campus.

Chair Elect Report

  • Staff Development Incentive Program
    • Discussion regarding new Professor Salary Incentive Program (PSIP) for tenured faculty who have been here for a long time and deserve recognition for excellent work
    • Need a parallel program for staff
      • Work group needed to explore what this program would entail
      • Program intended for long time exceptional employees
      • Need a way to track staff accomplishments and weigh differences of accomplishments coming from diverse offices/departments
        • Digital Measures is used for faculty, but can this be used for staff?
        • How would staff without regular computer access input information?
      • This could be connected to ADP evaluations
        • Need more consistency across campus if this is going to be used
        • Inconsistencies in scoring by new supervisors who may have different evaluation standards
        • Teressa – need training about relevant goal-setting for employees who are creating the ADP
      • Need volunteers for the work group – contact Scott Fiedler if interested
        • Ryan Wilson
        • Paul Essel
        • Janelle Melton
        • Christy Hyman
        • Charles Schoneboom
      • Andrea – We need to do a better job telling our story as staff so people can know about the great work we are doing
  • T-shirt idea:  Proud to be Staff
    • Paul Essel and Scott Fiedler met with the Bookstore
    • Idea 1:
      • Polo (good quality, $30) and long-sleeved shirt (medium-quality, cost TBD) would be available in the MSU Bookstore for offices to purchase and add their office logo on arm
      • Sale of the shirts would benefit Staff Senate Scholarship ($1-2 going to fund)
      • Senate would be responsible for promoting these shirts as options for offices
    • Idea 2:
      • T-shirts for staff in men’s and women’s styles with identical logo (no customization)
      • Less expensive option ($10-$12 each)
      • Available behind counter at the MSU Bookstore – only staff could purchase
      • Bear logo on front pocket with big logo on back
      • Shirt would say “Proud to be Staff Missouri State University”
      • Sell them at staff service awards events and other events to promote
    • Could do both ideas
      • Sharon – prefer option 1:  customized shirt that is better quality
      • Gary – consider both options because not everyone can wear a t-shirt in their office (if can’t do both, just do option 1 so more formal offices can participate)
      • Andrew – is there a cost to Staff Senate for this?
        • Scott – No.  All orders are made through the Bookstore, so we don’t have to pay up front.  We just get a cut.
      • Scott - Does this seem like something departments will be interested in?
        • Sharon – Some departments don’t have many staff
        • Ryan – regarding long-sleeved option, could we take a poll to pick?
          • Clarification – In option 1, there is both a polo and a long-sleeved shirt (not a long-sleeved polo)
          • Teressa – would there be women’s cut options for the polos?
          • Scott – Yes.  The shirt styles will be similar to what we have ordered for Staff Senate this year and last.
      • Logo vote: 
        • Bear head (9)
        • “M” logo (3)

Past Chair Report

  • No report

Secretary/Treasurer Report

  • Budget balances
    • Operating budget (A account)
      • No changes this month.  Balance is $1,465.06
    • Activity budget (B account)
      • Balance is $461.23
      • Petty cash on hand is $125
      • Net asset carryover still has not shown up
      • Denim Day and Scholarship fundraiser money is still not showing
      • Friends Against Hunger monies have been in and out of this account already
    • Foundation fund (Scholarship account) – report by Scholarship Committee (below)
  • Friends Against Hunger update
    • Total collected was $435.60, and check request is being processed
    • Hopefully the full amount will be matched by Prime for a total of $871.20!
  • Staff Senate funding request form
    • Allie is getting the form into an interactive pdf format.  Once done, it will be posted at www.MissouriState.edu/StaffSenate.  Until then, request form from Kelly Cara.
    • First request has been made in the amount of $400 for PR video.  Staff Senate to vote.

Director of Staff Relations Report

  • Committee Reports
    • Bylaws – No report
    • Denim Days Committee – No report
    • Public Affairs Committee – Gary Stafford
      • Adpot-A-Street cleanup (open to all staff)
        • Dec. 6 from 12-1:30 PM with lunch at Imo’s
        • Meeting in Taco Bell parking lot
      • Convoy of Hope
        • Done Oct. 29 – was a very neat event
      • Meals-A-Million
        • Friday, Nov. 15, 4-6 PM, at the Expo Center on St. Louis St.
        • Slots for that day are already filled up
      • Isabel’s House gift drive for holidays – Brian Edmond leading this initiative
        • Isabel’s House wants us to concentrate on collecting toys
        • Need to provide “value” information to Isabel’s house this year
        • Will have a meeting to create collection boxes and wrap them in gift wrap
        • Brian will send more information
    • Public Relations Committee – Ryan Wilson
      • Working with Web & New Media to create a Staff Senate video ad for MSU website
      • Need comments from current Staff Senate Senators and others regarding their involvement
        • Passed out form for senators to complete
    • Scholarship Committee – Andrew Garton
      • Current balance = $3,955.10
      • Final expected balance = $3739.81
        • Includes Ovations and homecoming profits
        • Includes other donations and gifts that have come in
      • BearFest village was a huge success – $307.68 went to scholarship
      • Ovations concession stand fundraiser also a big success – $284.71 profit
      • A total of $976 has already been collected this year!
      • Next meeting is tomorrow, 11/8/13, to discuss next fundraisers:
        • Rudolph’s Five & Dime
        • Another Ovations fundraiser (probably a concert in Feb)
        • Banquet planned for April or March
    • Staff Activities Committee – Janelle Melton
      • Considering a night at the game center in PSU downstairs
        • We can rent the facility ($80/hr) for 2-3 hours
        • Bowling and games would be free
        • Concessions can be open (food for purchase)
        • Food court food can be brought into game center (cannot bring in our own food except snacks brought by individuals/families)
        • We could charge $1-2 to attendees to help offset the cost
          • Teressa – how many people can the game center hold?
          • Tara – Probably 300, but it would be packed
    • Staff Excellence – Christina Bowles on behalf of Allison Overmyer
      • Allison has been researching next steps:
        • Contacted Kristan Gochenauer and Pat Day for more information
      • Notice was sent out on 10/21/2013
        • Nominations for the award are being accepted until November 16th
        • December 6th, nominations will be delivered to committee members for review
        • December 12th, the committee will meet, discuss top choices, and choose 6 recipients. 
    • MSU Administrative Professional Forum Committee – Sandy Johnson
      • Nov. 6 forum on campus safety, parking lots, building changes, etc.
      • Lots of questions, Good attendance
      • Will likely have similar forum at least once a year since safety tips can change
      • Reminder that Safety and Transportation staff can come do safety presentations for any offices on campus (2-4 hour presentations)
      • Passed out a survey to attendees to get feedback about the forums
      • Next forum is 11:30 AM on Feb. 5 about P-Cards, supplies, and procurement
      • Spring forum will come out of Student Employment
      • Likely to do another presentation from Computer Services
    • SGA report – David Schneider
      • Reusable cup program in PSU to be implemented fall 2014
      • Car sharing program for campus – working with Enterprise and others on this
        • Would allow students without cars to rent them for a short amount of time
        • Would encourage students to not bring cars to campus
      • Wyrick commission (student fees)
        • considering the purchase of LED signs on campus so student groups can advertise events
        • requesting the purchase of a bench for downtown Bear Lines
      • Designs submitted for a student t-shirt
      • Just established an ink cartridge recycling program
      • Establishing a GA for managing game day experience funds

Old Business

  • None

New Business

  • Funding request made by PR Committee for creation of Staff Senate video ad
    • PR Committee would like to entertain a motion to spend up to $400 on video
    • Motion to approve by Teressa Arnette
    • Second by Brian Edmond
    • Approved by unanimous vote

Announcements

  • Blake Mycoskie on campus Monday, November 11 – free tickets still available at campus box offices
  • Staff are welcome to attend SGA open forum meetings which take place every Tuesday at 5:30 PM in PSU 313

Open Forum

  • Tabled discussion about State of the University Address
  • Tabled discussion about common reader

Adjournment

  • Motion to adjourn by Sharon Lopinot
  • Second by Ryan Wilson
  • Meeting was adjourned at 11:54 AM by Chairperson, Andrea Weber

 

Minutes respectfully submitted by Kelly Cara, Secretary/Treasurer