Thank you to everyone who purchased a t-shirt or donated money this year to support breast cancer research! We donated $2,014.58 to the Lee National Denim Day foundation thanks to your contributions and the efforts of the Staff Senate Denim Day Committee.
The MSU Staff Senate hosts an annual fundraiser to support breast cancer research. The week-long drive culminates with the Lee National Denim Day, one of the largest single-day fundraisers for breast cancer, a disease that impacts countless lives every year. The week of events includes a university-wide luncheon, a t-shirt sale, and a chance for employees to donate $5 to wear denim on Friday.
There are at least 18 known survivors on our campus.
The 2013 Denim Day luncheon will be held on September 30th, from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM in the Plaster Student Union Ballroom. The menu is below and includes a dessert bar with everything pink and white! For more details on the luncheon, go to the master calendar.
Breast cancer awareness t-shirts will be on sale for $10 at the Plaster Student Union between 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM, from Monday, September 30, to Thursday, October 3. The t-shirt design is below.
Donate then wear denim on October 4
All employees are invited to donate $5.00 to the cause and wear denim and their BearWear on Friday, Oct. 4. Collection coordinators are in different buildings and are available to accept your donation. A list of collection coordinators is below. Or, if you prefer, you may contact Andrea Weber, Denim Day Committee Chair at email@example.com.
Mercy Mammogram Bus
The bus will be located in front of Freudenberger House on the following dates
- October 24th
- October 30th
- November 7th
- December 4th
What is the Mercy Wellness On Tour Bus?
The Mercy Wellness On Tour Bus brings you the area’s only state-of-the-art mammography equipment on wheels. Since 2001, our high-tech health bus, staffed with dedicated Mercy health professionals, has delivered on-site services throughout southwest Missouri.
Why get a mammogram?
- One in nine women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death in U.S. women
- Breast cancer accounts for nearly one in three cancers diagnosed in women
- Early detection and treatment is key to higher breast cancer survival rates
- Mammography is an excellent screening tool
A mammogram is a low dose X-ray of breast tissue. A mammogram screening can detect a lump as early as seven years before it can be felt. The Wellness On Tour Bus is an extension of Mercy’s Breast Center. Mercy’s dedicated mammography radiologists will read your films. Films are also read by the Image Checker System. This system is the first FDA-approved computer aided detection system. Early detection is key to higher survival rates and lower treatment costs.
Mammogram cost - Insurance discounted price is $279.30 filed to insurance: Price will change 7/1/13. Price without insurance coverage is $399.
- If your wellness/preventative benefit has not been used for 2013, MSU insurance will pay 80% leaving you a total cost of $55.86.
Patients must meet the following criteria in order to have a screening mammogram on the Wellness on Tour Bus:
- 40 years of age (we can do a baseline on 35 and older if they have immediate family history of breast cancer)
- No current breast problems – discharge, lump, pain, etc.
- Patient must have an established physician that they would like us to send their report to in order for us to do a mammogram and a current order from their physician
- Must be at least one year since patient’s last mammogram, regardless of their insurance limitations
- They will be scheduled one patient every fifteen minutes
- Each woman will receive a confirmation letter and should take their insurance card to their appointment
For more information contact Jerilyn Reed at 836-4045 or go to their website. Call 888-8888 to schedule an appointment.
Denim Day Committee
See the current Denim Day Committee members.