What is the VITA program?
A program established by the Internal Revenue Service to provide IRS-certified volunteers who can provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals in local communities.
What services do VITA programs provide?
Free basic current income tax return preparation with electronic filing
What is the cost for tax preparation and e-filing?
All VITA program services are FREE
What do I need to bring to have my taxes done?
- Your Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or other verification of your SSN (prior year e-filed tax return)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identification number
- Your 1098T and information on tuition paid
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
Are VITA volunteers qualified to complete my tax return?
All preparers are MSU students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Accounting. All preparers are trained and IRS certified to complete tax returns.