Missouri State University

School of Accountancy

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for MyFreeTaxes with phone assistance

What is MyFreeTaxes with phone assistance?

A program established by the Internal Revenue Service to provide an IRS-certified volunteers to answer questions when the taxpayers calls 1-855-698-9435.  These volunteers might be located  anywhere in the United States.

Can someone locally assist me if I cannot receive phone assistance?

Yes, you can come to MSU’s Glass Hall on Friday (No FREE parking at MSU on Fridays if you are not a student, faculty member or staff) or Saturday for assistance at the VITA Walk-in/Appointment site—see the calendar for dates this site is open.

Do I need anything in addition to what is on the “What to Bring” link to use MyFreeTaxes?

You will need a valid email address

What if I need to file a prior year return?

You do NOT need to visit an H&R Block office or buy software.  You can come to one of the walk-in/appointment VITA sites or the MSU LITC for assistance with prior year returns and/or controversies.  

Do I need to pay for any services given on MyFreeTaxes?

NO—You should not pay for services provided through MyFreeTaxes.  If you requested to pay for a service, you should check to see if any other program provides services to you free of charge