Missouri State University

School of Accountancy

International Workshops


International workshops are held on the following Mondays and Wednesdays:

  • March 3
  • March 5
  • March 17
  • March 19
  • March 24
  • March 26
  • March 31
  • April 2

Note: No workshops will be held during Spring Break.

SIGN UP sheets are available in the School of Accountancy office, Glass Hall 439, beginning Tuesday, February 18, 2014.

What to bring

Bring the following documents to the workshop:

  • All tax documents mailed to you from Missouri State University (for example:  W-2’s, 1042-S)
  • Any other tax documents you might receive in the mail (for example:  1099-Int, 1099-G)
  • Last year’s tax return, if available

Frequently Asked Questions

I  am an international student.  Do I have to file a tax return or tax form in 2014 for 2013?

Yes!  If you worked in the United States in 2013, you MUST file a tax return.  Even if you did not work, you are still REQUIRED to file a Form 8843.

What do I need to know about seeking employment while in the United States for income tax purposes?

International students MUST fill out a form W-4 when beginning employment, NOT a W-9!  International students with an F or J Visa are NOT allowed to work as independent contractors.  Working as an independent contractor means you are not in substantial compliance with your Visa.

I did not work in the United States in 2013. Do I still have to file a tax return?

Yes! If you are a non-resident alien and do not have any income, the law requires you to file Form 8843. We can assist you in filling out this form.

What could happen if I do not file?

You could be made to leave the US if you fail to file the required form or return. You could have problems reentering the US if you go home for vacation. If you earn any income in any other country, you will have to pay US taxes on it if you do not file Form 8843.

Am I required to have a social security number to file a tax return?

No, you are still required to file a tax form even if you do not have a social security number.

My friend’s tax return is different than mine. Why?

Specific countries have different tax treaties with the United States. These treaties include provisions to treat income differently, depending on the country from which you entered the United States.

If I am a non-resident alien, am I eligible for refundable tax credit benefits (ex. Education Credits)?

In most cases NO! If you receive these in error, you will be responsible for repaying the money to the Internal Revenue Service, and you will owe additional penalties and interest charges.

Where can I get help in filing the required tax return or tax form?

See Schedule of Free Tax Workshops.