Admission to the Master of Arts program
Students seeking admission to the Master of Arts program in religious studies must meet the general Graduate College requirements for admission as degree-seeking students. In addition, students must have the following:
- A bachelor's degree in religious studies or a related program in the humanities or social sciences. Some coursework in religious studies is desirable.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale. Students who do not meet the GPA requirement must take the GRE and normally will be expected to score a minimum of 158 on the verbal section (580 under the old scoring system before August 1, 2011) and a minimum of 300 (1,000 under the old scoring system) on the combined verbal and quantitative sections.
- International applicants are also required to submit a score of not less than 550 on the paper-based, or a comparable score of 213 on the computer-based TOEFL, or demonstrate English language proficiency by other equivalent means with a minimum score of 50 percent on the Listening Comprehension Section.
- 12 hours of foreign language or its equivalent (e.g., passing a proficiency examination administered by the Modern and Classical Languages Department). Applicants not meeting this requirement may be admitted, but must fulfill it before completion of the program.
- Applicants lacking the appropriate qualifications for the program may be admitted but will be required to rectify deficiencies with appropriate course work. Usually these courses will not count toward the master's degree and must be completed before filing an Advisor Approved Program of Study. Students who do not meet the GPA or GRE standards outlined above may be granted admission to the program at the discretion of the General Graduate Advisor.
If you are an international student, you are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language. This requirement can be satisfied by submitting proof of a Test of English as a Foreign Language score of 550. Please visit International Student Services for more information.