Internship Opportunity Renewed for Spring 2014!
Our Religious Studies Department Internship Coordinator is Lora Hobbs (LoraHobbs@missouristate.edu or phone 417-836-4876); please contact her if you have questions about this or any other internship.
Student Learning Plan
for MSU Religious Studies Internship
with The Ozarks Race and Faith Collaborative
through the Council of Churches of the Ozarks
The Ozarks Race and Faith Collaborative is an emerging movement that seeks to improve the understanding of race and race relations among people of faith in the Ozarks. The founding core of the collaborative includes representatives of the Council of Churches of the Ozarks, the Springfield City Manager’s office, the MSU Center for Diversity and Inclusion, the Center for Diversity and Reconciliation, and clergy already active in the community in matters related to improving race relations.
The successful applicant will also work with other agencies and organizations working toward social justice and, particularly, racial equality. See www.raceandfaith.com
Description of Job Duties:
The MSU Religious Studies Intern will work with the Executive Director of the Council of Churches of the Ozarks (CCO) and other community leaders to launch, promote and expand the mission of the Ozarks Race and Faith Collaborative, as it relates to the mission of CCO, through the following:
Identify and cultivate relationships with faith groups and encourage partnerships with the Ozarks Race and Faith Collaborative;
Attend and participate in Ozarks Race and Faith Collaborative meetings (typically, monthly);
Arrange and participate in meetings with clergy and leaders of partnering groups (i.e. MSU, Center for Diversity and Reconciliation, City of SGF, etc.);
Employ the use of social media, website, email communications with current and potential church/community contacts;
Complete an agreed upon research component that relates to the current or historical aspects of race and faith in the Ozarks, or in another similar region of the U.S.
Supervisor: CCO Executive Director
- 120 total work hours (about 8 hours/week); specific work hours determined by CCO Internship Supervisor and Intern
- provided, in addition to supervised experience: office space for work at the CCO building
- Needed: car (insured), lap-top computer, cell phone
- may need to have some availability on week-ends (probably 2 – 3 Saturday mornings throughout the semester, possibly a few Sunday mornings for observation of some participating faith communities’ race and faith programming)
- REL internship advisor: Lora Hobbs (LoraHobbs@MissouriState.edu)
- 3 credit hours (REL 399: Internship)
- This internship offers no financial compensation, but does offer a great work and learning experience that will demonstrate and enhance the intern’s career skills.
1. Complete and submit the application for the REL Internship:
(If you are unable to fill in the form electronically, please try Google Chrome, or save the file and open it from your computer, or print the form and bring it to the Religious Studies office, Strong Hall 251.)
2. The REL Internship Committee will make recommendations to the Council of Churches of the Ozarks Executive Director.
3. The Executive Director will contact the recommended applicant(s) for an interview.
4. Upon selection of the intern, the student and the REL internship advisor will complete the Career Center’s Internship Learning Plan: http://careercenter.missouristate.edu/assets/careercenter/Student_Learning_Plan.pdf
5. Upon approval by the Department of Religious Studies Department Head, the student will be granted permission to register for REL 399: Internship for the Spring 2014 semester