Socio-Political Communication (Comprehensive)
All majors in the Department of Communication must satisfy the following requirements before they can be admitted to the program.
- Complete a minimum of 59 credit hours.
- Complete the General Education Foundations courses.
- Have a combined grade point average (Missouri State and transfer) of 2.50 or higher or have a GPA of 2.75 for the last 30 hours of courses completed before applying for admission to the degree program.
- Complete COM 115, COM 209, and MED 120 with a GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Complete any additional admission requirements for selected emphasis or major.
- Submit application for admission and receive approval by faculty advisor and Head of the Department of Communication.
A student must meet these requirements by the time he/she has completed 90 hours of courses (Missouri State and transfer) to be admitted to the program. No waiver of these requirements will be granted except that transfer students transferring 90 hours or more will be allowed one semester to complete the departmental core courses after transferring to Missouri State.
Students pursuing a second option in the BA and BS Communication degree (non-comprehensive) must complete a minimum of 9 credit hours not counted as requirements on any major option. The additional major option cannot be used to satisfy the requirement of a minor or additional major.
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog
Specific General Education Requirements: COM 115(3), MED 120(3)
- Major Requirements (48 hours)
- Departmental Core (3 hours): COM 209(3)
- COM 210(3), 315(3), 322(3), 328(3), 332(3), 350(3), 379(3), 550(3), JRN 270(3), MED 454(3), 580(3)
- 12 hours with advisor approval from: COM 360(3), 495(3), 566(3), 597(3)*, JRN 407(3), MED 365(3), PLS 316(3), SOC 152(3)
- Program Assessment (0 hours): COM 499(0)
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of COM 350(3). COM 495 and COM 322 are optional.
*All special topics courses require advisor approval. No more than 6 hours of special topics may be credited toward the major.
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog
Accelerated Master's Program in Communication
Eligible undergraduate majors in the School of Communication Studies may apply for early admission to the Communication program during the second semester of their junior year. Once accepted for early admission, students will be able to take up to 10 credit hours at the 600-700 level that apply to both their undergraduate and graduate degree programs (Mixed Credit). Students must enroll in COM 701 during the fall semester of their senior year as part of the accelerated program. Refer to the Graduate Catalog for more information.
For courses to be designated as Mixed Credit, the graduate advisor, undergraduate department head, and Graduate College dean must approve by signing the Permission for Mixed Credit form. This form must be provided to the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320 no later than the end of the Change of Schedule Period for the semester.