Public Relations (Non-Comprehensive)
Bachelor of Science
This major is designed for students who wish to enter public relations, employee relations, and other related fields.
All majors in the Department of Communication must satisfy the following requirements before they can be admitted to the program.
- Complete a minimum of 59 credit hours.
- Complete the General Education Basic Required Courses.
- Have a combined grade point average (Missouri State and transfer) of 2.50 or higher or have a GPA of 2.75 for the last 30 hours of courses completed before applying for admission to the degree program.
- Complete COM 115, COM 209, and MED 120 with a GPA of 2.50 or higher.
- Complete any additional admission requirements for selected emphasis or major.
- Submit application for admission and receive approval by faculty advisor and Head of the Department of Communication.
A student must meet these requirements by the time he/she has completed 90 hours of courses (Missouri State and transfer) to be admitted to the program. No waiver of these requirements will be granted except that transfer students transferring 90 hours or more will be allowed one semester to complete the departmental core courses after transferring to Missouri State.
Additional admission requirements
Applicants must submit a letter grade for COM 115(3), COM 209(3), MED 120(3) and JRN 270(3). A grade point average of 2.50 or higher must be achieved across these 12 hours.
Students pursuing a second option in the BA and BS Communication degree (non-comprehensive) must complete a minimum of 9 credit hours not counted as requirements on any major option. The additional major option cannot be used to satisfy the requirement of a minor or additional major.
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog
Specific General Education Requirements: COM 115(3), MED 120(3)
- Major Requirements (48 hours)
- Departmental Core (3 hours): COM 209(3)
- Public Relations Core: COM 210(3), 309(3), 336(3), 379(3), 439(3), 449(3), 509(3); and 3 additional hours from COM 495(3) or 550(3) or 509(3)
- Publishing Design and Technologies: 6 hours from JRN 378(3), 477(3), MED 365(3), 390(3), CIS 195(3), ENG 373(3)
- Relational Communication: 3 hours from COM 205(3) or other appropriate COM course selected in consultation with advisor
- Advocacy and Rhetoric: COM 350(3) and 3 hours from COM 315(3) or 322(3) or 328(3)
- Writing: JRN 270(3); and ENG 321(3) or JRN 370(3) or JRN 374(3)
- COM 499(0)
- Minor Required (or second major)
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog
Accelerated master's degree in communication
Eligible undergraduate majors in the School of Communication Studies may apply for early admission to the Communication program during the second semester of their junior year. Once accepted for early admission, students will be able to take up to 10 credit hours at the 600-700 level that apply to both their undergraduate and graduate degree programs (Mixed Credit). Students must enroll in COM 701 during the fall semester of their senior year as part of the accelerated program.
For courses to be designated as Mixed Credit, the graduate advisor, undergraduate department head, and Graduate College dean must approve by signing the Permission for Mixed Credit form. This form must be provided to the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320 no later than the end of the Change of Schedule Period for the semester.