Departmental admission requirements
All students majoring in the Department of Media, Journalism & Film (except for those seeking a major in Electronic Arts) must satisfy the following requirements before they can be admitted to the program. (In most cases, these requirements should be met by the time the student has completed 75 hours of coursework.)
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours.
- Have a combined grade point average (Missouri State and transfer) of 2.30 or higher.
- Complete COM 115 and ENG 110.
Complete the following departmental preadmission core courses and the appropriate degree option course with at least a C- in each of these courses.
Required Degree Option Courses:
Journalism (Broadcast; Print and Internet) - JRN 270(3)
Non-Comprehensive Mass Media (Film Studies, Media Studies) - MED 274(3)
Comprehensive Mass Media (Digital Film Production, Media Production) - MED 365(3)
- Achieve a combined GPA of 2.70 or higher across any three of the four preadmission courses (MED 120(3), MED 130(3), MED 220(3), and the appropriate degree option course). To achieve the 2.70 GPA, a student may retake any of these courses only once and may retake no more than two of these courses.
- Submit application for admission and receive approval by faculty advisor and Head of the Department of Media, Journalism & Film.
Departmental majors may not take a second major within the department.
Specific admission requirements
A student must achieve a combined GPA of 2.70 or higher across any three of the four preadmission courses [MED 120(3), MED 130(3), MED 220(3) and JRN 270(3)] along with a combined GPA of 2.30 or higher to be admitted to this major.
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog
Specific General Education Requirement: MED 120(3)
- Major Requirements (39 hours)
- Departmental Preadmission Core: MED 130(3), 220(3)
- Departmental Required Courses: MED 304(3), 581(3); JRN 407(3)
- Journalism Core: JRN 270(3), 595(3)
Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of MED 581(3).
- Choose one of the following options (18 hours):
- Minor required. Note: No course may count for both the Journalism major and the minor.
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog.
Accelerated master's degree in communication
Eligible undergraduate majors in the School of Communication Studies may apply for early admission to the Communication program during the second semester of their junior year. Once accepted for early admission, students will be able to take up to 10 credit hours at the 600-700 level that apply to both their undergraduate and graduate degree programs (Mixed Credit). Students must enroll in COM 701 during the fall semester of their senior year as part of the accelerated program.
For courses to be designated as Mixed Credit, the graduate advisor, undergraduate department head, and Graduate College dean must approve by signing the Permission for Mixed Credit form. This form must be provided to the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320 no later than the end of the Change of Schedule Period for the semester.