- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog.
Specific General Education Requirements in order to meet state certification: ENG 110(3), 321(3); PSY 121(3)
- Major Requirements
- ENG 235(3), 338(3), 390(3), 520(3), 521(3); ENG 491(3) or 494(3)
- One course from: ENG 350(3), 351(3), 517(3), 519(3), 553(3), 557(3), 558(3), 559(3), 562(3)
- One course from: ENG 354(3), 355(3), 455(3)
- One course from: ENG 340(3), 341(3), 362(3), 512(3), 541(3), 543(3), 544(3), 546(3), 547(3), 548(3), 568(3)
- One 400 or 500-level ENG elective course(3), not taken to fulfill one of the above listed requirements
- ENG 312(3)-students may substitute ENG 513 for ENG 312 but may not count ENG 513 as their required 500-level ENG elective course.
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of ENG 432(5-6) and ENG 433(5-6).
- Professional Education Courses. Note: A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for state certification.
- ENG 405(3), ENG 432(5-6), ENG 433(5-6)
- Professional Education Required Core and Competencies - see Teacher Certification, Teacher Education Program and Secondary Education Requirements section of catalog
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program requirements for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification; as well as the requirements for Secondary Education. Refer to the Teacher Education Program section of the catalog for requirements.
- In order to meet Missouri state teacher certification requirements, candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Education degree are required to meet the following grade point average requirements: at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended; at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B; at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area; at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses listed under C; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.
General education program restriction
With the exception of ENG 310 and ENG 321, English courses counted towards General Education requirements may not also be used to meet:
- major requirements
- minor requirements
- Fine Arts requirement on the Bachelor of Arts degree
BA fine arts restriction
English majors or minors may not use the same literature courses to satisfy both the major or minor requirements and the Fine Arts requirement.
Restriction for english majors
Students completing both a major and a minor offered by the English Department may not count the same courses on both the major and the minor.
Accelerated Master's Program in Secondary Education/English
Eligible BSEd English majors may apply for preliminary acceptance into the MSEd Secondary Education/English program after admission requirements for the accelerated master's option have been satisfied. Once accepted, students will be able to take up to 12 hours of graduate-level English courses that apply to both their undergraduate and graduate programs (Mixed Credit). Refer to the Graduate Catalog for more information.
For courses to be designated as Mixed Credit, the English Education Program Coordinator, undergraduate department head, and Graduate College dean must approve by signing the Permission for Mixed Credit form. This form must be provided to the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320 no later than the end of the Change of Schedule Period for the semester.