- General Education Program and Requirements
Specific General Education Requirements in order to meet state certification: ENG 110(3), 321(3); PSY 121(3)
- Major Requirements
- ENG 235(3), 338(3), 390(3), 520(3), 521(3); ENG 491(3) or 494(3)
- One course from: ENG 350(3), 351(3), 517(3), 519(3), 553(3), 557(3), 558(3), 559(3), 562(3)
- One course from: ENG 354(3), 355(3), 455(3)
- One course from: ENG 340(3), 341(3), 362(3), 512(3), 541(3), 543(3), 544(3), 546(3), 547(3), 548(3), 568(3)
- One 400 or 500-level ENG elective course(3), not taken to fulfill one of the above listed requirements
- ENG 312(3)-students may substitute ENG 513 for ENG 312 but may not count ENG 513 as their required 500-level ENG elective course.
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of ENG 432(5-6) and ENG 433(5-6).
- Professional Education Courses. Note: A grade of “C” or better in each course is required for state certification.
- ENG 405(3), ENG 432(5-6), ENG 433(5-6)
- Professional Education Required Core and Competencies - see Teacher Education Program
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification which includes following GPA requirements. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.
- at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses listed under C; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses
Restriction on use of English courses for majors and minors in the Department of English
- English courses counted toward the major cannot be counted toward the minor.
- English courses counted toward the major or minor cannot be counted toward the BA Fine Arts requirement.
- With the exception of ENG 310 and ENG 321, English courses counted toward the major or minor cannot be counted toward the General Education requirements.
Accelerated graduate program in Secondary Education/English
Eligible Missouri State undergraduate students may apply for admission to the Secondary Education/English program and begin taking graduate course work as they complete the work for a bachelor’s degree. A maximum of 12 hours of graduate credit may be counted toward both the undergraduate and graduate degree (Mixed Credit). Refer to the Graduate Catalog for specific admission requirements.
Refer to Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Classes for additional information and procedures for obtaining permission for Mixed Credit.