Bachelor of Science in Education
(Certifiable grades 9-12)
- General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog
- Major Requirements (42 hours)
- ENG 200(3)-(may also count toward the Culture and Society Humanities Perspective General Education requirement); ENG 235(3), 338(3), 340(3), 341(3), 350(3), 351(3), 390(3), 520(3); ENG 491(3) or 494(3)
- One 500-level literature course
- One course from: ENG 360(3), 361(3), 362(3)
- One course from: ENG 283(3), 354(3), 355(3), 483(3), 485(3)
- ENG 312(3)-students may substitute ENG 513 for ENG 312 but may not count it as their 500-level literature course. NOTE: Students must complete 12 hours of composition and rhetoric to meet certification requirements. This requirement is normally met by the completion of Writing I and Writing II, ENG 235 and ENG 520. Students with less than 12 hours of composition and rhetoric may complete ENG 203, 210, 215, 221, 310 or 321 to meet this requirement.
- Professional Education Courses
- ENG 405(3), ENG 432(5-6), ENG 433(5-6)
- Professional Education Required Core and Competencies - see Teacher Certification, Teacher Education Program and Secondary Education Requirements section of catalog
- General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog
- This program also requires compliance with the Teacher Education Program requirements for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in the Teacher Education Program; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification; as well as the requirements for Secondary Education. Refer to the Teacher Education Program section of the catalog for requirements.
- In order to meet Missouri state teacher certification requirements, candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Education degree are required to meet the following grade point average requirements: at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended; at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under B; at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area; at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses listed under C; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses. All GPA requirements include both Missouri State and transfer grades.