Child and Family Development


Child and Family Development (Comprehensive)

Bachelor of Science

Admission Requirements for the Child Life Option

The Child and Family Development Child Life Option has a selective admission policy. Child Life Option students must complete and meet the following application requirements. Students will write a one page essay describing their interest in a career to become a Child Life Specialist and the role of a Child Life Specialist. Students must have a 3.00 cumulative GPA, 100 hours of verified volunteer experience in a hospital setting, two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the hospital volunteer site. Applications for the Child Life Option must be submitted to the Childhood Education and Family Studies Department office during the semester prior to junior year by March 1 for spring semesters and October 1 for fall semesters. As this is a competitive program, admission is not guaranteed.

Transfer students must also apply for admission for the Child Life Option. Transfer students must meet with a Child Life advisor to determine when they are eligible to complete the application and essay. All students must adhere to the deadlines stated above.

The application and resume will be reviewed by a committee appointed by the Department Head. Criteria for selection will be based on GPA, written essay, two letters of recommendation and verified volunteer hours. Students will be notified of the decision in writing by October 31 for fall semesters and March 31 for spring semesters. Students who are not accepted into the program may reapply in the following semester.

Program Requirements

  1. General Education Requirements - see General Education Program and Requirements section of catalog Specific General Education Requirements: BIO 100(4), or BIO 101(3) and 111(1), or BMS 110 and 111(1)

  2. Major Requirements (74-83 hours)

    1. Core Courses (29 hours): CFD 110(3), 150(1), 155(3), 160(3), 163(3), 305(3), 366(1), 466(6), 562(3), 563(3)

    2. Related Requirements (6 hours): PSY elective (3); PSY 441(3)

    3. Support Electives (9-15 hours) with approval of advisor

    4. Complete one of the following options:
      1. Child Development (25 hours): CFD 250(3), 255(3), 260(4), 301(3), 360(5), 455(4), 560(3)
      2. Child Life (39 hours): CFD 257(3), 260(4), 301(3), 306(3), 353(3), 354(4), 454(3), 455(4), 499(3), 510(3); LLT 102(2); BMS 307(4)
      3. Family Studies (26 hours): CFD 250(3), 361(3); 306(3) or 365(3); 532(3), 533(4), 534(1), 560(3); COM 506(3); FCS 373(3)
      4. Youth Development (24 hours): CFD 250(3), 257(3), 260(4), 301(3), 360(5), 505(3), 560(3)
    5. Candidates for the Bachelor of Science in Child and Family Development are required to meet the following grade requirement: a grade of "C" or better in each CFD course or any required course for the options required for graduation.

    6. Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of CFD 466(6).

  3. General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements - see General Baccalaureate Degree Requirements section of catalog


Child and Family Development

Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Social Work
  1. Select six hours from the following, with approval of a CFD advisor: CFD 155(3), 160(3), 163(3)
  2. Select twelve hours from the following: any CFD course; FCS 373(3); or BMS 130(3) with approval of a CFD advisor to bring total to at least 18 hours. Up to 3 credit hours of CFD 197 may be taken.

Accelerated Master's Program in Early Childhood and Family Development

The Accelerated Masters Program option in Early Childhood and Family Development provides an opportunity for outstanding undergraduate child and family development majors, early childhood education majors, elementary education majors, and psychology majors to begin their graduate course work during their junior or senior year. If accepted into the accelerated program, up to a maximum of 12 hours of graduate courses taken after admission into the program may be given credit for both undergraduate and graduate programs (Mixed Credit). Refer to the Graduate Catalog for more information.

For courses to be designated as Mixed Credit, the graduate advisor, undergraduate department head, and Graduate College dean must approve by signing the Permission for Mixed Credit form. This form must be provided to the Office of the Registrar in Carrington Hall 320 no later than the end of the Change of Schedule Period for the semester.