The individualized major is intended for students with a clear sense of direction, motivation and strong concept of an educational program that will best serve the individual's needs. This major shall be described individually, specifying the area(s) of emphasis.
Procedures for Seeking Candidacy
- Complete the following General Education Basic Required Courses: GEP 101/UHC 110, CIS101/CSC 101 or CSC 111, COM 115, ENG 110, MTH 130 or higher, and KIN 100.
- Apply through the Academic Assistance Office, University Hall, room 122, for admission to an individualized major.
- The student shall submit to the Academic Assistance Office a written statement of intention, aims and background, and transcripts of prior work (minimum 2.00 grade point average required). In some cases, a personal interview or supporting information (such as faculty recommendations) may be required.
- A student accepted to pursue an individualized major is assigned, by the Academic Assistance Office, three faculty advisors from departments in which the student will work. No two faculty members shall represent the same department. These faculty members shall comprise the student’s advisory committee. The student shall designate one member as the major advisor.
- It shall be the responsibility of this advisory committee to approve the student’s degree program. It is also the responsibility of this committee to evaluate the student’s transcript and determine the number of credit hours previously earned which will be applied toward the hours required for this major. The approved program, including a recommended title, shall be submitted to the Academic Assistance Office for final approval
- A minimum of 25 credit hours must be completed after the advisory committee has approved the degree program.
- All agreements shall be filed as a part of the student’s degree program. Any alteration of the degree program must be approved by the advisory committee. Changes of schedule shall be handled by the major advisor provided the student’s degree program is not altered.