Academic Renewal Request Form


  1. Obtain an Academic Renewal Request form from the Office of the Registrar, Carrington Hall 320, or the Office of Academic Assistance, University Hall 122.
  2. Students who have ever received GI Bill benefits at any institution must obtain the approval and signature of the Missouri State University Veterans Affairs Certifying Official on the form.
  3. The signature of the student's academic advisor is required on the form.
  4. The completed form must be taken to the Office of Academic Assistance, University Hall 122. Upon approval of the Associate Provost, the form will then be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar.

For questions, please contact the Office of Academic Assistance, University Hall 122, (417) 836-5034.

Note: If you choose Academic Renewal, you may be ineligible for financial aid.  Check with the Financial Aid Office before deciding if Academic Renewal is right for you.

University policy

Academic renewal is designed to permit students with a grade point average deficiency to remove the effects of low grades from their academic record, under the following conditions:

  1. This policy applies only to undergraduate students and must be invoked prior to earning a degree at Missouri State or another institution.
  2. A student enrolled at Missouri State after an absence of five years or more from college may elect academic renewal. This renewal will affect only those courses taken prior to the five-year absence and may be elected only once in a lifetime.
  3. Once elected, academic renewal applies to all courses, whether passed or failed and regardless of origin, taken prior to the date chosen by the student.
  4. Academic renewal does not erase the record. The grades received are removed from the GPA with an appropriate notation on the transcript indicating the renewal election. Academic renewal is a policy of Missouri State and as such may not be recognized by outside institutions or agencies.
  5. Credit hours subjected to academic renewal cannot be used to meet any requirements (e.g., graduation, prerequisite, or certification).
  6. Once elected, academic renewal is irrevocable. Students must consult an academic advisor prior to election of academic renewal. Final approval for all academic renewal applications will be processed by the Office of the Provost.

You need Adobe Reader to view and print documents on this page.