Reflection on April Registration
Although the early registration period for fall 2009 ended on April 22, registration will continue through the first week of classes. Overall, our first registration cycle on the new system went very well. The two most common issues encountered involved prerequisites and overrides.
Prerequisite issues were identified and addressed as quickly as possible. In some cases the prerequisites were entered incorrectly into the new system. We also worked closely with departments to ensure that we were interpreting prerequisites correctly.
At times, there was an element of confusion regarding overrides (i.e. granting permission, waiving prerequisites, overriding closed classes, etc.). In some cases, students need multiple overrides for one section of a course. For example, if a student wants to enroll in a course which requires permission and the student does not meet the prerequisite, two overrides have to be granted: one for the prerequisite and one for permission. Additionally, for courses that have lab and lecture components, overrides must be entered for both the lab and lecture sections.
Departments can grant overrides for specific sections, or all sections of a course, through Internet Native Banner (INB). Some departments authorize their faculty to grant overrides for the courses in which they are the instructor of record through My Missouri State—”Teaching & Advising” tab.
Where Do We Go from Here?
Over the summer, we will continue to enhance the functionality and usability of the Banner system, as well as the My Missouri State portal. There are plans to develop webcast training sessions for advisement-related functions. Also, there is a team of individuals working to develop the Self-Service Reporting system which will allow functional users to run reports similar to those available through the departmental lists option of the Faculty/Advisor Resource Center.
This summer will be spent completing the interface between Banner and the degree audit system. Degree audits are scheduled to be available through the new system in early fall. Until that time, degree audits for current students may be accessed through the Faculty/Advisor Resource Center and My Information (note: in progress fall 2009 classes will not be noted on degree audits until the fall semester begins).
The Monthly Transcript
- Grade rosters are now available through the Faculty/Advisor Resource Center. Final grades must be submitted by 10:00 a.m. on May 18.
- Deans may pick up Scholastic Action reports on May 19. All actions must be completed by 5:00 p.m. on May 20.
- The web version of the 2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog should be available by May 20. Printed versions of the Catalog should be ready for distribution on campus after June 8. Academic departments will be notified via email when the catalogs arrive on campus.
- Spring Commencement will be held May 15 at 10:00, 1:30, and 5:00 p.m. in JQH Arena. Please visit: http://www.missouristate.edu/commencement for all information related to graduation.
- Queries of Spring 2009 graduates will be available July 6 on the Faculty/Advisor Resource Center.
- We are encouraging advisors to contact their advisees who have not yet enrolled for fall before their advisees leave for summer break. An Argos report has been created to help with this effort.
Deadlines will soon be made available for spring 2010 class schedule building. We are currently in the process of refining class schedule building guidelines to incorporate lessons learned over the past several months. Additional details regarding training will be provided soon.
My Missouri State
Two new Argos reports are now available:
- “Reg-Class List CSV” allows administrators and staff members to obtain faculty member’s class list. This report displays “live” data.
- “Enrollment by section” shows basic section information including the number of students enrolled along with the room’s capacity. This report displays “live” data.
- Argos now has its own Channel on My Missouri State under the “Work Resources” tab. The channel is called “Information Access”. For detailed instructions on how to use Argos, please visit the experts site.
- Missed Banner training? The experts site has all the documentation you need!
To add or remove your name from our mailing list, please send us an e-mail at Registrar@MissouriState.edu or call 417-836-5520.