Missouri Returning Heroes Education Act
In support of our student veterans, Missouri State University has implemented the Missouri Returning Heroes Education Act effective with the Fall 2008 semester. The Act provides that institutions of higher education that receive any state funds, here too shall limit the tuition charged to combat veterans to fifty dollars per credit hour, as eligibility is determined, for any program leading to an undergraduate certificate, or an associate or baccalaureate degree. A "combat veteran" is any person who served in armed combat after September 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military, and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions. Please see our Veterans Services website for more information: www.missouristate.edu/registrar/veterans.html
Missouri State University has approximately 320 students utilizing veterans education benefits. To date, 42 student veterans have applied for reduced tuition and of those 70% have been eligible. Under this program, the amount saved varies depending on the student’s credit hours and financial aid already received. Our veterans’ savings has ranged from $11 to $2,579 with the average being $1,000 for the Fall semester.
The Monthly Transcript
- Amber Bowen, a student worker in the Office of the Registrar, was one of six students to receive the Board of Governor’s Citizen Scholar Award, an award that recognizes leadership and service to others.
- Students enrolled for Fall 2008 must have their fees paid in full by November 17 in order to prevent cancellation of their Spring 2009 class schedule.
- The last day to get an automatic “N” grade for full-semester classes was October 29. At this point, when a students drops a class, the instructor has the option to assign an “N” or “F” at the close of the semester. The deadline to drop or withdraw from a full-semester class is December 5.
- Final summer 2008 graduation numbers:
358 Bachelor’s Degrees
164 Master’s Degrees
3 Specialist Degrees
The Banner Bonus
- Two class schedule building training sessions are scheduled for November 17-19 and November 24-25. These sessions are for anyone who missed the training offered this summer and for those who only have 600-level or higher courses. Departments are welcome to use days two and three as an “open lab.” To sign up for training, please go to www.missouristate.edu/banner.
- The new repeat policy effective Fall 2009 was approved by the Board of Governors in October. Details regarding the implementation of the new policy are forthcoming.
- Effective Fall 2009, dual high school courses that extend over two semesters will automatically be assigned a grade of EX (indicating extended) at the end of the Fall semester. As grades for Spring come in after regular courses have been graded, the grading system will be reopened for Spring (primarily during the month of June) for dual credit courses. Having a more flexible grading system will eliminate doing manual grade changes—which is our current practice.
- Admissions is live on Banner. All Fall 2009 applicants are being admitted using Banner.
- The class schedule building report called Masterlist is now available through Argos. This report will allow departments to proof their schedule of classes including section comments (note: if a section does not have a section comment, the course description appears instead). The report called “Course Master List” is available under the datablock called “ODS_Course Masterlist.” To gain access to Argos, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The following policies and procedures are currently under review:
- Admission to degree programs (approved by the Academic Leadership Council October 2008)
- $60 payment (and cancellation policy)
- The asterisk grade and last day to drop (pending Faculty Senate approval on November 13.)
- Academic status
- Implementation of repeat policy
- Registration sequence
- Banner Registration Timeline:
- November-December 2008: all 600-level and higher courses will be manually entered into Banner along with all of the prerequisite changes.
- December 2008-March 2009: mock registration (testing the new registration system).
- April 2009: registration “go live” for Fall 2009.
To add or remove your name from our mailing list, please send us an e-mail at Registrar@MissouriState.edu or call 417-836-5520.