Request for Reduced or Subsidized Tuition Class Form
At times the University will enter into agreements with external agencies to provide classes to targeted groups of students at no cost or reduced cost to the students. These agreements may or may not be tied to an external grant that may support the cost of instruction or support the students by paying all or a portion of their tuition and/or fees. We may also reduce or subsidize tuition and fees to be competitive in certain markets.
Ongoing or recurring reduced tuition classes should be submitted to the cost center for inclusion in the Fee Schedule and should be approved by the Board of Governors.
When circumstances warrant, the provost has the authority to make exceptions to the Required Student Fee Schedule and may approve classes to be offered for reduced tuition and/or student services fees for a specified semester. Such exceptions are to be reported to the Board of Governors.
To facilitate this process, please use the Request for Reduced or Subsidized Tuition Class form.
Upon approval the offering department must work with other offices as outlined below.
Outline of the process and involved parties:
The offering department should plan well in advance and allow enough time for the request for reduced or subsidized tuition form to be approved and implemented prior to registration.
Faculty/Department/Dean develop the proposal
NOTE: If it involves a grant then must work with Office of Sponsored Research and this should begin prior to submitting grant proposal.
NOTE: If it involves agreements/partnerships then should involve Office of the Provost and possibly Financial Services and/or Legal Counsel while developing the agreement.
- Complete the Request for Reduced or Subsidized Tuition Class form
- Rationale for the request should describe:
- Type or group of student to be served
- Benefit to the University
- Funding/Cost information
After notice of approval by the Office of the Provost:
- Schedule the section(s) in Banner (SSASECT)
- Specify Dates, Location, Delivery, Instructor, Max Enrollment, etc.
- Note that may involve working with Missouri State Outreach to schedule the class
- Set Special Permission Indicator to "P" so that students must have permission to enroll
- Set the Section Status to "H" = Held, Not Available for Registration. (Office of Registrar will set to Available once all approvals received and reduced tuition has been set up)
- Enter Section Comment as appropriate on SSATEXT
Office of the Provost
Greg Rainwater, Budget & Financial Manager: 836-4588
For approval by the Provost
Send copy of approval to Chief Financial Officer for reporting to Board of Governors
Then routing to Office of the Registrar for processing
Office of the Registrar
Diana Jolly, Misty Bowen, Kim Bell: 836-5520
Set up class(es) to correctly assess the reduced tuition
Set class to Available Status
Notify all parties that complete
Cindy Schull or Michele Hackworth Grants and Contracts: 836-5632
Nancy Myers General/Accounts Receivable: 836-5635
Set up account(s) used to pay student tuition/fees and/or to record reduction for later invoicing to external party. Note that this should normally be done when awarded the grant or other approved agreement.
Linda Nichols: 836-5262
Set up 3rd Party Contractor Scholarship payment
Offering department responsible for submitting list of students and amount to be paid from specified account in timely manner