- Childhood obesity
- Adult obesity
- Metabolic syndrome
- Exercise metabolism
- Responses to physiological and psychological stress
- Immune suppression
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
- Prevalence of Childhood Obesity and In-school Physical Activity, Belhaven University, Jackson MS. Presentation. 2014.
- Prevalence of Childhood Obesity and In-school Physical Activity, Partnership for a Healthy Mississippi, Jackson MS. Presentation. 2014.
- Exercise Metabolism and Bioenergetics, Belhaven University, Jackson MS. Guest Lecture. 2013 and 2014.
- Owens, S. and Galloway R. (2014). Childhood Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome. Current Atherosclerosis Report. 16:436. DOI 10.1007/s11883-014-0436-y.
- Owens, S., Galloway, R., Gutin, B. (2015). The case for vigorous physical activity in youth. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine. DOI: 10.1177/1559827615594585
- Galloway, R. and Owens, S. (2015). Characterizing PE, Recess, and Academically-related Movement Activities Relative to Moderate-to-Vigorous Physical Activity. Submission in progress.
- Galloway, R., Loftin, M., Owens, S., Bentley, J., Cazas, V. (2015). Comparison of energy expenditure during a 1 mile walk or run in a field setting to values obtained in a laboratory setting. Submission in progress.
- Galloway, R., Owens, S., Loftin M., Bentley, J. (2015). Physiological and perceptual responses to alternate modes of exercise at self selected or prescribed intensity between normal and overweight individuals. Submission in progress.
Plus many other accomplishments
- Graduate Teaching Instructor—University of Mississippi
- Instructor—Belhaven University
- Riding motorcycles
- All sports
Future Goals and Aspirations
- Identify early onset markers of childhood obesity and develop interactive programs to combat the health concerns associated with obesity.
- Identify optimal modalities of exercise for overweight and obese individuals in order to maximize health benefits and minimize stress and immune suppression.
Life Outside the University
Travel the country with my wife and our dogs. Plan to take in a game at every MLB stadium.