Counseling, Leadership, and Special Education
My research agenda focuses on the social, metaphorical, symbolic, and institutional characteristics within p-20 educational systems. In my work when examining how things become institutionalized in educational systems and communities allows for a greater understanding of the discourse between different interest groups. More specifically, but not exclusively, I look at the intersectionalities between intercollegiate athletics and the community at large.
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
- Satterfield, J.W., Hughes, R. L., Kearney, K., & Martinez, E. (2011). The Study of Sports and Athletics in Higher Education. ASHE Reader Series.
- Satterfield, J.W. & Croft. C. (2015) The Athletic Casting Call: Factors Contributing to the Social Construction of the Black Male College Athlete. In R. Bennett. Editor & J. Moore. Editor (Eds.), Black Males and Athletics in Higher Education: An Exploration of Issues and Solutions. United Kingdom, Emerald Publishing.
- Satterfield, J.W. (2015). Organization and Governance of the NCAA. In E. Comeaux. Editor (Ed.) Introduction to Intercollegiate Athletics in American Higher Education. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Fine, C., Pindar, L., Reese, K.L., & Satterfield, J.W. (2016) "All-In?" African American Engagement at Clemson University Football Games.
- Satterfield, J.W. (2015) Tenure is Not the Problem. . . We are! In L. Sadeghi, Editor & K. Callahan. Editor (Eds.), Educational leadership in action: a casebook for aspiring leaders. NY: Taylor & Francis.
- Hadley, W. & Satterfield, J.W.(2013). Are university students with learning disabilities getting the help they need? Journal of The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition. Vol. 25.1
- Gonzales, L. & Satterfield, J.W. (2013) A Reflexive Interrogation: Talking Out Loud & Finding Spaces for Works of Public Good. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement.
- Kearney, K. S., Krumm, B., Hughes, R. L., & Satterfield, J. W (2012) Organized for death: Theoretical and practical lessons from organizational analyses of Auschwitz. Journal of Management Education.
- Satterfield, J.W. & Godfrey, M. (2010) The University of Nebraska-Lincoln Football: A Metaphorical, Symbolic and Ritualistic Community Event. Forum: Qualitative Social Research 12(1)
- Clemson University, Associate Professor, Department of Leadership, Counselor Education, Human and Organizational Development, Eugene T. Moore School of Education.
- University Study Abroad Consortium – Puntarenas Costa Rica Visiting Professor
- University of Texas at El Paso Assistant Professor, Educational Leadership and Foundations
- Eastern Michigan University, College of Education Lecturer and Director of Internships, Educational Leadership Doctoral Fellow, Teaching/Research Assistant, Educational Leadership
- Family stuff
- Jazz music
Future Goals and Aspirations
To be a leader in the overall landscape of higher education.
Life Outside the University
I do my best to try and make my community a better place to live and play.