Counseling, Leadership, and Special Education
My academic and research interests include increasing multicultural consciousness among mental health and school counselors, improving access to counseling services to marginalized communities, and overall counselor development. Additionally, I am interested in the effects of racism, power, and privilege in America on the mental health and wellness of people of color from a trauma based perspective. More specifically, from a trauma based lens, my academic interests include exploring how racism, power, privilege, and systems of oppression effect patterns of communication, conflict resolution, the development of interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, emotional intimacy and how men and women of color experience romantic relationships and family in America.
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
- ? Al-Naas’s, M. I., & Moore, M. (2014, March). Say that again: Language barriers in the supervision relationship from two multi-cultural clinical supervisors. Poster session presented at the annual conference of the American Counseling Association. Honolulu, HI.
- ? Asner-Self, K., Moore, M. & Al-Nasa’h, M. I. (2014, February). Developing counselor educators-in-training’s group training skills! Content session presented at the annual Association for Specialist in Group Work. Orlando, FL.
- Morton, J. R., Stout, V., & Moore, M. (March, 2014). Effective strategies for working with families with young adult children. Content session presented at the Illinois Counseling Association Southern Region Conference in Collinsville, IL.
- Moore, M., Stout, V., Kimemia, M. (2014, October) In the classroom: The role of power, privilege, and racial identity. Round table discussion presented at the conference of the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. St. Louis, MO.
- ? Stout, V., Moore, M. (2014, October). Implementation of social justice themes into the supervisory relationship: Beginning counselor educator concerns, approaches, and the parallel process. Content session presented at the annual conference of the North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. St. Louis, MO.
- Counselor Educator
- Clinical Supervision
- School Counselor
- Mental Health Counselor
Los Angeles, CA
- Spending time with family and friends
- Playing with my dogs (Sasha and Jett Li)
Future Goals and Aspirations
Continue instructing courses, providing advocacy, and futhering research efforts related to advocacy and multicultural conciousness among counselors and counselor education.