Theatre and Dance
I'm interested in jazz and musical theatre dance. This pertains especially to the development of these forms, particularly how black vernacular dance has been used rhetorically throughout history. My current choreographic works explore rhetorical aspects of dance in blended genres. I'm also interested in dance conditioning/cross-training and injury prevention. I'm half-way through my Balanced Body Pilates mat certification and looking forward to continuing to pursue a comprehensive Pilates certification.
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
This past summer I co-authored a presentation at the Dance Science and Somatics Educators Conference, directed the Florida State University Summer Dance Intensive, served on the faculty of Regional Dance America's National Choreography Intensive, and choreographed Memphis the Musical at Cornstock Theatre in Peoria, IL. I'll be presenting a 20 minute dance work, Dimensions of Being, at the Chicago Fringe Festival over Labor Day weekend and choreographing for Pipeline Entrepreneurs' Annual Gala in Kansas City in January.
- MFA in Dance - Florida State University
- MS in Communication - Illinois State University
- Choreographed musicals, interactive workshops, and concert dance works in various venues in Central Illinois and Northern Florida.
- Developed dance programs for park districts, created workshops for school aged kids, taught at several professional ballet schools, and worked with college and regional theatre programs.
- Taught master classes for the American College Dance Festival Association's South Eastern Conference, the Suzanne Farrell Workshop for Young Dancers, and the Florida State University Summer Dance Intensive.
I like taking Yoga classes, shopping at flea markets, and trying to teach my dog how to walk on a leash
Future Goals and Aspirations
My only goal is to remain balanced in my life. I'm hoping to continue navigating my way through the exciting dance world in a way that positively impacts the field, encourages my students, keeps my creativity alive, and allows me to remain grounded with the people I love.
Life Outside the University
I have a wonderful husband named Jason. He's a chef, so I eat very well at home even though I don't know how to cook. We have a chihuahua mix puppy named Paquita (named after my favorite ballet) who does very well in her puppy training class as long as we bring the good treats. We're all very happy to be in Springfield and looking forward to getting to know the community.