- Foreign language learning
- Teaching Crosslinguistic influence and communication
- Language testing and assessment
- Language variation and change
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
- Jolley, J. R. and Maimone, L. (2015). Free online machine translation: Use and perceptions by Spanish students and instructors. Central States Report, 181-200.
- Riestenberg, K., Maimone, L., Jan, H., and Sanz, C. (2015). Cross-linguistic effects of Arabic experience on L3 learning and explicit knowledge. Arizona Working Papers in Second Language Acquisition & Teaching, 22 (August), 1-25.
- Member of the C-test Research Group at the Assessment and Evaluation Language Resource Center (AELRC) (since 2014)
- "C-test Colloquium: Developing a Portuguese C-test for research purposes." American Association of Applied Linguistics Conference (AAAL/ ACLA/ CAAL, 2015). Toronto, Canada. March 21-14, 2015.
- "Collaborative language learning in Teletandem and gains in oral complexity, accuracy, and fluency." 7o CIPLE (Congresso Internacional do Ensino de Português como Língua Estrangeira); V SEPFE (Simpósio sobre ensino de Português para Falantes de Espanhol). UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico. October 29-31, 2014.
- "The effects of explicit grammar instruction on Spanish heritage learners' written proficiency." The Second International Conference on Heritage/Community Languages, Los Angeles, CA. March 7-8, 2014.
- "Cross-linguistic effects of English and Spanish in L3 Portuguese development." American Association of Applied Linguistics Conference (AAAL), Portland, Oregon. March 22-25, 2014.
- "Cross-linguistic effects of Arabic experience on L3 learning and explicit knowledge." Second Language Research Forum (SLRF), Provo, Utah. October 31 to November 2, 2013.
- Adjunct professor of Portuguese and Spanish at Georgetown University (2012–2015)
- Adjunct professor of bilingualism at the Modern and Classical Languages Department (Fall 2015)
- Portuguese/English translator (2003–2015)
- Private language instructor of Portuguese (2006–2014)
- English instructor at different language schools in Brazil (2006–2007)
Maringá (Paraná, Brazil)
- Working on my research
- Browsing through Pinterest
Future Goals and Aspirations
- Help grow the MASLA program
- Develop online courses for the MASLA program
- Develop Portuguese courses for Spanish speakers
- Help develop Spanish courses for heritage speakers
- Help grow enrollment and retention in less commonly taught languages
- Participate on language assessment program evaluation and development initiatives
- Help create professional development opportunities for local language educators
- Promote child bilingualism and the preservation of heritage languages in the State of Missouri
Life Outside the University
My husband and I like to travel and to attend cultural events. We also like meeting with friends, going to the movies, and going on day trips to enjoy outdoor activities.
Return to Meet New Faculty home page