Modern and Classical Languages
- Foreign language learning
- Teaching Crosslinguistic influence and communication
- Language testing and assessment
- Language variation and change
Top Scholarly Accomplishments
- Jolley, J. R. and Maimone, L. (2015). Free online machine translation: Use and perceptions by Spanish students and instructors. Central States Report, 181-200.
- Riestenberg, K., Maimone, L., Jan, H., and Sanz, C. (2015). Cross-linguistic effects of Arabic experience on L3 learning and explicit knowledge. Arizona Working Papers in Second Language Acquisition & Teaching, 22 (August), 1-25.
- Member of the C-test Research Group at the Assessment and Evaluation Language Resource Center (AELRC) (since 2014)
- "C-test Colloquium: Developing a Portuguese C-test for research purposes." American Association of Applied Linguistics Conference (AAAL/ ACLA/ CAAL, 2015). Toronto, Canada. March 21-14, 2015.
- "Collaborative language learning in Teletandem and gains in oral complexity, accuracy, and fluency." 7o CIPLE (Congresso Internacional do Ensino de Português como Língua Estrangeira); V SEPFE (Simpósio sobre ensino de Português para Falantes de Espanhol). UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico. October 29-31, 2014.
- "The effects of explicit grammar instruction on Spanish heritage learners' written proficiency." The Second International Conference on Heritage/Community Languages, Los Angeles, CA. March 7-8, 2014.
- "Cross-linguistic effects of English and Spanish in L3 Portuguese development." American Association of Applied Linguistics Conference (AAAL), Portland, Oregon. March 22-25, 2014.
- "Cross-linguistic effects of Arabic experience on L3 learning and explicit knowledge." Second Language Research Forum (SLRF), Provo, Utah. October 31 to November 2, 2013.
- Adjunct professor of Portuguese and Spanish at Georgetown University (2012–2015)
- Adjunct professor of bilingualism at the Modern and Classical Languages Department (Fall 2015)
- Portuguese/English translator (2003–2015)
- Private language instructor of Portuguese (2006–2014)
- English instructor at different language schools in Brazil (2006–2007)
Maringá (Paraná, Brazil)
- Working on my research
- Browsing through Pinterest
Future Goals and Aspirations
- Help grow the MASLA program
- Develop online courses for the MASLA program
- Develop Portuguese courses for Spanish speakers
- Help develop Spanish courses for heritage speakers
- Help grow enrollment and retention in less commonly taught languages
- Participate on language assessment program evaluation and development initiatives
- Help create professional development opportunities for local language educators
- Promote child bilingualism and the preservation of heritage languages in the State of Missouri
Life Outside the University
My husband and I like to travel and to attend cultural events. We also like meeting with friends, going to the movies, and going on day trips to enjoy outdoor activities.