History and overview
Missouri State University was founded as the Missouri State Normal School, Fourth District, by legislative action on March 17, 1905. Missouri State first opened its doors in June 1906. After 102 years and four name changes, Missouri State is a public, comprehensive metropolitan system with a statewide mission in public affairs offering a wide variety of programs and services to its students and the citizens of the state.
In a campus ceremony on March 17, 2005, the 100th anniversary of Founders’ Day, Governor Matt Blunt signed Senate Bill 98, which included changing Southwest Missouri State University’s name to Missouri State University. This is the fifth and final name for the University.