Normal School #4
Southwest Missouri State Teachers College
A native of West Plains, Missouri, and Superintendent of Schools there at age 19, Clyde Milton Hill graduated from State Normal School #4 in 1907 and returned in 1910 to teach mathematics. He was selected to succeed President W. T. Carrington in 1918.
With standards for training teachers rising across the country, the Missouri General Assembly in 1919 authorized all state normal schools to change their names to state teachers colleges. While Southwest Missouri State Teachers College was still focusing on preparing teachers, it dropped the Bachelor of Pedagogy degree in 1919 and expanded the curriculum in the liberal arts, enabling it to offer a Bachelor of Arts program as early as 1920.
During President Hill’s tenure, enrollment doubled to more than 1,000 students taught by 77 faculty members in a dozen departments, making STC the second largest state college. Almost half of the faculty had attended or graduated from State Normal School #4. A Faculty Council was named in 1918 to supervise the work of the departments. Bertha Wells was named the institution’s first Dean of Women the same year. In 1925, Ellenora Linney became the first woman to serve on the Board of Regents.
During President Hill’s tenure, two buildings were added, defining the quadrangle on the east side of the campus. The Education Building (Hill Hall) was designed by President Hill and completed in 1924, and the cornerstone for the Science Building (now Siceluff Hall) was laid in 1925.
President Hill’s appreciation for the arts brought the St. Louis Symphony, celebrated vocalists John McCormack, John Charles Thomas and Amelita Galli-Curci as well as violinist Jascha Heifitz to campus, along with other noted musicians. Family visits to campus were encouraged with the establishment of Dad’s Day in 1926.