Graduate Classifications

Op3.18 Graduate Classifications


Students who are admitted or are seeking admittance into a graduate degree program.

Nondegree-Seeking (Unclassified):

Students who meet the general Graduate College requirements but are undecided on a specific degree program. In this category, students may register for courses for which they meet the prerequisite. Nondegree-seeking students are not candidates for a degree and are not assured future admission to a degree program.

Typically, no more than 9 hours of graduate credit accumulated under this classification may be applied to a degree program.

Graduate courses (600-level and above) taken as a nondegree-seeking student or a post-baccalaureate student will be counted in the student’s graduate GPA. Any C grade or below may jeopardize a student’s ability to enter into a degree program.

Request for Change of Status or Academic Area:

A student may request a change from nondegree-seeking to a degree-seeking status, or request a change from their current academic program to a different academic area. In these cases, acceptance into the program requested is based on the review and recommendation of the department. Students wanting to change their academic area must complete the Change of Academic Area Form. This form is available in the Graduate College, 306 Carrington Hall, or online at (under "Forms").


Students admitted into the post-baccalaureate classification have not been admitted to the Graduate College; they have only been given permission to enroll for graduate-level courses to earn graduate credit. A post-baccalaureate student is not required to furnish the application fee or transcripts and there is no minimum grade point average for admission. Enrollment as a post-baccalaureate student does not guarantee future admission into a specific degree program. Post-baccalaureate students may take either undergraduate or graduate courses. The only limitation is that no more than 9 hours of graduate credit may be accumulated under this classification or applied to a degree program. Graduate courses (600-level and above) taken as a post-baccalaureate student will be counted in the student’s overall graduate GPA. Any C+ grade or below may jeopardize the ability to enter into a degree program. Students under this classification have completed a bachelor’s degree and are graduate students. They are therefore governed by all Graduate College policies. Post-baccalaureate students must make satisfactory progress in graduate courses and any student receiving more than 9 hours of "C+" grade or below will not be allowed to enroll in further classes.

Generally, students in the post-baccalaureate classification are not eligible for financial aid. Students who first register in the post-baccalaureate classification and later initiate the process to change to a degree program will be required to submit the Graduate Admission Application along with the application fee and necessary transcripts. The application will be reviewed by the Graduate College and the director of the degree program to which the student applied and the student will be notified of the decision.

Post Masters:

Students who have received a master’s or higher graduate degree and wish to continue taking course work for graduate credit without pursuing another graduate degree. In this category, students should apply through the Extended Campus office or the Graduate College.