Application and Admission Requirements
Mail application packet to the nursing
department. Do not email or fax application.
All applications must be received by 5PM CST on the corresponding deadline.
Access the BSN-Completion Program application packet for registered nurses.
Access the BSN-Completion Scholars Program application packet for students
in approved associate degree nursing schools.
To begin course work in the field of nursing, you initially need to be admitted to Missouri State. Before completing
75 credit hours, you must also be admitted to a degree program.
- Acceptance of application to the University by the Office of Admissions. (Note: Admission to the University does NOT automatically constitute acceptance for the
professional program in nursing.)
- Current licensure in good standing as a registered nurse in the State of Missouri or in the state where they practice.
- Provide evidence of current health insurance.
- Provide evidence of current malpractice liability insurance prior to enrollment in the first clinical nursing course (i.e., NUR 442).
- GPA of 2.75 or higher on a 4.00 scale, based on at least 30 hours of college work. GPAs below 2.75 will be considered on an individual basis.
- Current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers certification. No online courses are accepted.
- Submit evidence of current immunization (MMR, Tetanus, Varicella, complete Hepatitis B series, and a PPD (or evidence of appropriate medical follow-up for PPD positive
- An admission conference with a member of the Department of Nursing Faculty is recommended for direction in sequencing courses.
- Applicants must demonstrate acceptable levels of maturity, integrity, and behaviors and attitudes normally expected of professional nurses.
- Applicants must demonstrate acceptable academic potential to successfully complete the program.
- Application deadlines for admission are August 1 for fall, December 1 for spring, and May 1 for summer.
Accelerated Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Educator Option degree
Students must apply to the accelerated RN to MSN option when they first apply for admission to the BSN completion program and prior to enrolling in nursing or supporting
courses required in the BSN Students may not enter the RN-MSN option after they begin taking courses for the BSN completion program. After successful completion
of the BSN requirements, all students in this Nurse Educator option will receive the BSN and may be granted full admission to the Graduate College. Refer to
the Graduate Catalog for more information.
Additional requirements of the program
- Students will be required to initiate and pay for any security checks and drug screenings required for clinical agencies.
- Apply for criminal record check and receive response that the applicant has not been convicted of any crime pursuant to Section 660.317 RSMo or other disqualifications that would prohibit licensure as a registered nurse.
- Students are expected to purchase community uniforms and initial equipment before beginning nursing courses. A list of the items and their prices can be obtained from the Department of Nursing.
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation to clinical sites.
- Students are required to pay course fees for each semester they are enrolled in clinical nursing courses.
Access the application steps.