Department of Music {expression + innovation + excellence} 

Alumni

1940-1949

Dr. Carroll Lewis (1949) earned his master's degree from USC and his DMA from the University of Missouri- Kansas City. He was a band and orchestra director for 30 years before retiring in 1983. Dr. Lewis is a professional pianist and member of the Missouri Band Directors' Hall of Fame.

Stone Manes (1943) is corporate secretary-treasurer of Ceramo, Inc., manufacturers of clay flower pots since 1945.

Billie Ann Swenson (Schaller) (BS, 1948 ) taught in the Springfield Public Schools for 34. She retired in 1984.

Joan Fite Wainwright (1941) taught music in public schools in Missouri from 1941-1949. She taught music at Mississippi State College in 1949-1950, and from 1950-1952 was Supervisor of Music for Davidson County School in Nashville, Tennessee. She joined the faculty of Arkansas Tech University in 1955, where she remained until her retirement in 1982.

Dr. C. William Young (B.S. in Ed., 1941) received his MM from the University of Michigan in 1949 and his doctorate in musicology in 1957. His collegiate teaching career included positions at State University of New York, the University of Nebraska, and Nebraskan Wesleyan University. In 1965 he joined the faculty of Wayne State University in Detroit where he taught until his retirement in 1986. Dr. Young was published many times, including articles in Musica Disciplina, Die Musik in Geschichte and Gegenwart, Journal of Research in Music Education, Renaissance Quarterly, and the The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.