Dr. Elizabeth B. Federman
- ScD, Psychiatric Epidemiology, 1995, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- B.A., Psychology with English Literature, 1988, Swarthmore College
- Biostatistics for the Health Sciences
- Software Applications & Data Sources in Public Health
- Research Methods
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
Brown E, Nonnemaker J, Federman EB, Farrelly M, Kipnis S. Impact of tobacco-free regulation on attitudes, practices, and services provided in substance use disorder treatment facilities. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2012;42:319-27.
Wagner TH, Harris KM, Federman B, Dai L, Luna Y, Humphreys K. Prevalence of substance use disorders among veterans and comparable non-veterans from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Psychological Services 2007;4:149-57.
Piper ME, Federman EB, McCarthy D, Bolt DM, Smith SS, Fiore MC, Baker TB. Efficacy of bupropion alone and in combination with nicotine gum. Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2007;9:947-54.
Bray RM, Bae KH, Federman EB, Wheeless SC: Regional Differences in Alcohol Use Among U.S. Military Personnel. Journal of Studies on Alcohol 2005;66:229-38.
Jordan BK, Federman EB, Burns BJ, Schlenger WE, Fairbank JA, Caddell JM. Lifetime use of mental health and substance abuse treatment services by incarcerated women felons. Psychiatric Services 2002;53:317-25
Ouimette, P., Humphreys, K., Moos, R.H., Finney, J.W., Cronkite, R., Federman, B: “Self-help group participation among substance use disorder patients with posttraumatic stress disorder.” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment2001;20:25-32.
Federman EB, Bray RM, Kroutil LA: Deployment and substance use among military women and men. Military Psychology 2000;12:205-20.
Ennett ST, Federman EB, Bailey SL, Ringwalt CL, Hubbard ML: Profiles and correlates of Human Immunodeficiency Virus risk in runaway and homeless youth. Journal of Adolescent Health, 1999;25:344-53.
Federman EB, Costello EJ, Angold A, Farmer EMZ, Erkanli A: Great Smoky Mountains Study: Development of substance use and psychiatric comorbidity in two ethnic groups. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 1997;44:69-78.
Lyketsos K, Federman EB: Psychiatric disorder and HIV infection: Impacting one another. Epidemiologic Reviews 1995;17:152-64.
Research and professional interests
- Comorbidity of substance use and psychiatric disorders
- Application of epidemiologic methods in program evaluation
- Tobacco cessation and control
- High risk populations
- Mental health services
Awards and honors
- 2001-2002 - Post-doctoral trainee, National Cancer Institute Training in Cancer Biostatistics, University of Wisconsin Madison (Dr. Richard Chappell, adviser)