The internship or field experience is a great way for you to learn more about possible career opportunities, get hands-on experience in your field, and get valuable work experience. Make sure you take some time to decide what internship site would be best for you so you can get the most out of this experience. The following is a list of resources to help get you started in finding your internship site.
1. Check the listing of internship sites that have hosted previous EMS students. (Realize that placement in a clinical setting is more difficult to get and oftentimes is coordinated through their education/internship department.)
2. Consider a placement in a nonprofit organization. Check the listings on the Directory (theLibrary.org) on the Springfield-Greene County Library site. Search under "subject" for not-for-profit organizations. The Directory is a listing of 900 nonprofit clubs, agencies and organizations in the Springfield metropolitan area, including mailing, e-mail and web address, phone, fax, toll-free and TTY (TDD) numbers.
3. Check WELCOA. WELCOA is the premier Workplace Wellness Organization. Follow links under "Free Resources" to Health Promotion jobs and Corporate Fitness sites. (www.welcoa.org)
4. Check the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) site - (ACSM.org) and review career/internship information there.
5. Check the University of Missouri Extension site: http://extension.missouri.edu/careers/
6. Check the Missouri AHEC (Area Health Education Center) site: http://www.mahec.org/missouri_ahec_regions/
7. Check the Missouri government sites: Department of Health and Senior Services site: http://www.dhss.mo.gov/index.php