1047 Director, Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning
TITLE Director, Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1047
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant/Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Provost
The Director of the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning (FCTL) oversees instructional development opportunities for faculty, regardless of teaching modality, while offering effective support through a variety of instructional technology and design elements. The mission of FCTL is to promote enhanced teaching effectiveness and improved student learning by providing opportunities and support for the Missouri State instructional community. The Director develops and implements a cohesive and comprehensive program that includes, but is not limited to, the following: excellence in teaching regardless of modality, the scholarship of teaching and learning, learning outcomes assessment at the classroom and program level, the effective use of technology in the classroom; and expanding the quality, diversity, and number of faculty development opportunities.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An earned doctorate and credentials consistent with appointment at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor are required.
Experience: A distinguished record of teaching experience at the college or university level is required. Experience in assessment of learning outcomes at the classroom and program level is required. Successful administrative and professional development experience with faculty, preferably in a teaching/learning center is preferred.
Skills: Excellent communication and motivational skills are required. A knowledge base of outcomes-based curricular design and program development, assessment of learning outcomes, student-centered learning and learning theories, technology-enhanced teaching and learning, including course management systems, and effective online teaching methodologies is required.
Other: Demonstrated ability to provide collaborative leadership and management skills to the FCTL team and to work collaboratively with other administrative academic units is required. A proven record of successfully obtaining external funding from public and private sources and research design and publications related to pedagogy and learning is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Fosters collaboration among the various units which support effective teaching and learning on campus through a variety of instructional modalities.
2. Provides leadership and planning for all instructional and curricular development activities designed to support the University’s teaching community.
3. Provides leadership and planning for the development and implementation of assessment plans at the classroom and program levels.
4. Oversees the distribution of resources to support the development of the instructional community as well as the goals of the unit.
5. Plans, develops, coordinates, implements, and supervises orientation and training opportunities for full-time and per course faculty and graduate teaching assistants, regardless of specific teaching modalities.
6. Plans, develops, coordinates, implements, and supervises a variety of workshops designed to improve the use of technology-enhanced teaching and learning including course management systems and effective online teaching.
7. Participates in the selection and training and supervises, directly or indirectly, all employees assigned to the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning.
8. Supports the work of the Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs by accepting and accomplishing tasks designed to contribute to improve student learning and development.
The Director of the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning is supervised by the Assistant/Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs and supervises, directly or indirectly, all employees assigned to the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2010