1032 Dean of Academic Affairs-WP
TITLE Dean of Academic Affairs
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1032
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Chancellor
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Chancellor
The Dean of Academic Affairs is the Chief Academic Officer of the Missouri State University – West Plains, providing primary administrative leadership, direction, and evaluation for all academic activities and faculty affairs of the campus. The Dean of Academic Affairs oversees the academic divisions and departments, Garnett Library, other centers and offices, including Student Advisement and Academic Support Center, Assessment and Instructional Support, Distance Learning, and the branch campus in Mountain Grove. This is a twelve-month academic administration, ranked faculty, tenure-track position.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An Ed.D., Ph.D. or other earned doctorate is required.
Experience: Five years progressively responsible administrative and supervisory experience of academic personnel and programs in an educational institution is required. A minimum of three years experience as a full-time classroom teacher in higher education or five years experience as a full-time classroom teacher in public education with teaching experience of at least thirty credit hours in higher education is required. A proven record of effectiveness in strategic planning and program assessment is required. Evidence of effective collaborative relationships with peers is required. Experience with first generation college students from impoverished and rural areas is preferred. Experience at open admission institutions is preferred. Preference will be given to those with experience working in or closely working with a two-year institution of higher education.
Skills: An appreciation of shared governance and evidence of strong abilities to work effectively and collaboratively with University administration, faculty, students, staff, and other constituent groups and partners, both within and outside the University is required. Strong oral and written communication skills are required; excellent interpersonal skills are required. An appreciation and understanding of instructional technologies and pedagogies in expanding curricular offerings is required. An understanding of contemporary issues in higher education is required. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development of faculty and academic administrators is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Fosters intellectual growth, student learning, and scholarly and creative activities by providing academic strategic planning, administrative leadership, direction, and evaluation for all academic activities and faculty affairs at the University, providing leadership in advancing the mission, goals, and objectives of the University, particularly in regards to academic excellence and student success.
2. Demonstrates sound fiscal management and empirical-based decision making by overseeing program development, budgets, and facilities of all academic and academic support units.
3. Ensures an active and expanding dialogue with external constituencies by encouraging partnerships with external constituents and public organizations.
4. Implements the strategic academic vision by authorizing faculty appointments, recommending all promotions and tenure decisions to the Chancellor, making final decisions about the allocation of academic space, working closely with the Dean of Student Services in addressing the educational support needs and extra-curricular priorities for students, and with the other senior leadership of the University in coordinating and overseeing the overall mission of the University.
5. Generates meaningful information for the improvement of the overall academic program, and where appropriate, services that promote student success by understanding, demonstrating, and encouraging assessment in all aspects of the University, but particularly those areas within the academic program.
6. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development conferences, and attending training and/or courses as required.
7. Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing all other duties as needed.
The Dean of Academic Affairs is supervised by the Chancellor and supervises academic administrators and professional and support staff.
REVISED APRIL 2010