1054 Director, Community and Social Issues Institute
TITLE Director, Community and Social Issues Institute
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1054
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Vice President for Research and Economic Development
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Director of the Community and Social Issues Institute provides leadership and direction, fiscal management, and overall supervision of the activities of the Institute. The Director obtains contracts and grants for the Institute and plans and directs the public relations efforts of the Institute by providing information to University personnel, students, and the community about research and community service activities of the Institute.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education A Ph.D. in a social science discipline or a related academic field is required.
Experience Five years of research experience in a social science or related academic discipline is required. Three years of experience related to social science research administration is required.
Skills Strong oral and written communication skills are required. The ability to manage a variety of research contracts and budgets is required. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Supervisory and administrative experience is required.
Other The scope of the position requires occasional evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight, out-of-town travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides leadership and management of the Community and Social Issues Institute by establishing goals and objectives for the Institute, developing effective controls to monitor progress in achieving goals, supervising office support staff as well as research staff, including graduate students and postdoctoral researchers, planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, and monitoring and assessing outcomes.
2. Works with University faculty to develop grant proposals that further the mission of the Institute by assisting faculty in grant preparation and grant and contract negotiations, mentoring junior research faculty, and as necessary, serving as the lead or Principal Investigator on major research projects and/or contracts.
3. Builds the credibility and reputation of the Institute by developing and maintaining standards, policies, and procedures, providing authoritative information to University personnel, students, and the public regarding the Institute’s policies, procedures, and standards, creating opportunities to inform the public and University community about the work of the Institute, and overseeing the dissemination of the results of research conducted at the Institute.
4. Assures continued operation of the Institute and effective utilization of resources by planning and developing the annual budget, monitoring income and expenditures, and obtaining contracts and grants for the Institute.
5. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending courses and/or training as required by the Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
6. Contributes to the overall success of the Research and Economic Development Division by performing other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Research and Economic Development.
The Director, Community and Social Issues Institute, is supervised by the Vice President for Research and Economic Development and supervises full and part-time staff, graduate students, and postdoctoral researchers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES JUNE 2006