TITLE Director of Internal Audit
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1659
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Board of Governors and the President
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Board of Governors and the President
The Director of Internal Audit administers the internal audit activity of the University by directing audits of academic and administrative departments and activities and by developing a comprehensive, practical program of audit coverage for the University. The Director of Internal Audit manages or performs assignments that may vary in complexity and supervises staff in conducting the internal audits. The Director reviews and analyzes transactions, documents, records, reports, and accounts relating to University operations and functions, and prepares acceptable working papers and audit reports of audit findings. The Director performs special reviews and projects as requested by the Board of Governors and University administrators and serves as the University’s official custodian of public records.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field is required. Certification as a CPA or CIA is required.
Experience: Five years experience in auditing, public accounting, higher education accounting, or governmental accounting or eight years experience in corporate or not-for-profit accounting in a supervisory role is required.
Skills: The ability to work cooperatively with all levels of the organization is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate ideas, facts, and abstract concepts are required. The ability to supervise a support staff of professionals, graduate assistants, and student employees is required. Functional knowledge of the use of personal computers is required. The ability to research, collect, organize, and maintain accurate records/data is required. The ability to work with little supervision, to meet deadlines and solve problems, and make appropriate recommendations is required. Demonstrated ability to plan, implement, and lead the internal audit within a complex, decentralized, and diverse organization, including the ability to recommend and assist in the implementation of risk-based internal controls across the institution is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Directs or performs internal audits of University departments and activities in compliance with established guidelines and principles of auditing by reviewing established controls, transactions, procedures, records, and reports, understanding and documenting processes, interpreting University policies and procedures, governance practices, and regulatory obligations, evaluating compliance with laws, policies, procedures, and regulation by comparing operating practices with established norms, and supporting the safeguarding of assets by reviewing the internal controls over those assets and verifying the existence of such assets.
2. Directs or performs internal audits of University departments and activities by assessing complex activities to identify potential operational, financial, or compliance risks or potential fraud which warrant audit attention and determining whether operating results are consistent with established goals and objectives by reviewing programs or operations.
3. Directs or performs special projects as required and directs or participates in University departmental or employee education in the area of internal controls and policy.
4. Communicates the results of audits, projects, and actions taken by management to the Board of Governors and to senior administration by preparing internal audit reports which include audit findings and recommendations.
6. Serves as the University’s official Custodian of Records.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required.
8. Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Director of Internal Audit reports to the Board of Governors programmatically and to the President for administrative purposes and supervises Internal Auditors, graduate assistants, and/or student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2007