1027 Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs
TITLE Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1027
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Provost
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs is part of the leadership team for academic affairs and assists the Provost, and other Associate Provosts in the operation of the Office of the Provost. Areas of responsibility include assisting with personnel issues, engaging in the implementation of various academic plans and policies, and ensuring that quality educational services are being delivered in accordance with the Faculty Handbook and federal and state legislation. The Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs participates in personnel decisions and oversees publication of documents issued by the Office of the Provost. The Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs works in all ways to ensure that quality educational programs are provided to students and is an important liaison in communicating and collaborating with administrators, faculty, students, and other constituents of the University.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A terminal degree is required.
Experience: the ability to be granted tenure as a faculty member at the University is required and a record of success in all areas – teaching, research, and service – must be evidenced. A history of progressively responsible and successful academic leadership experience is required.
Skills: Demonstrated leadership ability is required, including a demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with University administrators, faculty, staff, and students. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are required. Effective interpersonal skills and sensitivity to issues affecting a wide range of constituencies are required. A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is required. Experience in personnel management is preferred.
Other: Requires a demonstrated commitment to high quality education. An understanding of federal and state legislation and compliance issues that affect personnel issues and the delivery of quality educational services to students is required. A demonstrated commitment to equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and the promotion of diversity is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures a coherent approach to the management of academic affairs by taking the lead role in policy development and evaluating university, college, and departmental policies, plans, and processes in relationship to other University policies, faculty handbook requirements, state and federal regulations, and trends in higher education.
2. Reviews, coordinates, and manages issues related to the faculty by serving as the Provost’s liaison to the Faculty Senate, representing the Provost on the Faculty Roles and Rewards Initiative, the Faculty Handbook Committee, and Compensation Committee, and overseeing new faculty orientation and the tenure and promotion policy.
3. Works to improve communication throughout academic affairs by coordinating the meetings and agenda for the Academic Administrators Assembly (AAA).
4. Implements policies and procedures related to faculty recruitment, hiring, tenure, promotion, and other personnel actions that contribute to the instructional, research, and service functions of the University.
5. Assures fairness and the application of appropriate procedures by assisting with academic employee grievances and other faculty personnel issues through investigating, gathering information, and reporting findings to the Provost.
6. Oversees faculty recruitment and hiring and reviews personnel action forms for compliance with University policy, process, and procedures.
7. Helps to ensure that quality educational services for students are being delivered in accordance with the Faculty Handbook and federal and state legislation and regulations.
8. Improves leadership and administrative abilities in academic units by assisting in mentoring and evaluating Deans, Department Heads, and other academic administrators and supporting endeavors that assist academic administrators in carrying out their duties and responsibilities.
9. Promotes a positive image and maintains effective relationships for the Office of the Provost by representing the Provost at various meetings, communicating with University administrators, faculty, staff, and students in matters related to undergraduate education, and leading or serving on selected University committees and task forces.
10. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Ensures that miscellaneous projects related to academic affairs are completed in the best interest of the University by accepting and accomplishing those tasks which are delegated by the Provost.
The Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs reports to the Provost and supervises professional and support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2011