TITLE Chief of Staff/Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 0019
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR President
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Chief of Staff/Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations serves as chief of staff to the President and the coordinator of state governmental relations. The Chief of Staff/Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations oversees the President’s schedule, facilitates access to the President, and coordinates projects and initiatives as assigned by the President. The Chief of Staff/Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations is responsible for facilitating the University’s achievement of its state legislative agenda; and coordinating the governmental relations activities of University officials.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required. A Master's or Professional degree is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of three years of experience in higher education administration or public relations practice, preferably with management experience, is required.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communications skills are required. Demonstrated management skills in areas such as goal‑setting, staff supervision, and evaluation and budgeting are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Occasionally required to lift and carry boxes of materials and equipment weighing 20‑40 pounds.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, events, and seminars.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Facilitates the ability of the President to manage executive functions by assisting the President to prioritize his schedule, advising the President regarding key constituencies, providing context and background information on issues, and coordinating research, projects, and initiatives as assigned by the President.
2. Facilitates the University's achievement of its short- and long-term legislative agenda at the state level by preparing and coordinating implementation of the Governmental Relations Plan which includes preparing informational materials, meeting with representatives of the executive and legislative branches of the state government to conduct governmental relations business for the University, meeting regularly with the University's lobbyists, tracking legislation that affects the University, and coordinating the governmental relations activities of University officials.
3. Ensures that the Governmental Relations Plan is fiscally sound by exercising management practices which result in operations within the allocated Governmental Relations budget.
4. Promotes a positive image of the University and higher education by representing the University in community, state, and regional activities.
5. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
6. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the President.
7. Contributes to the overall success of the Office of the President by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Chief of Staff/Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations is supervised by the President and supervises professional and support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2014