0018 Vice President for Marketing and Communications
TITLE Vice President for Marketing and Communications
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 0018
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR President
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Vice President for Marketing and Communications has responsibility for overall communications, research-based messaging, marketing, and branding activity for the University. The Vice President serves as the University’s chief marketing and communications officer and is a key member of the University’s leadership team. The Vice President represents and promotes the University, increasing its visibility and supporting the institution’s mission, vision, and goals. The Vice President leads the development and implementation of the University’s brand vision, strategy, and public relations campaigns to attract the best students, motivate alumni and donors, and recruit high quality faculty and staff. The Vice President oversees the areas of University Communications, Publications, Photographic Services, Web and New Media, and Athletics Communications. In addition to leading the University’s central team of marketing and communications professionals, the Vice President provides strategic direction and coordinates marketing and communications produced by other academic and administrative units.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree with a major in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, business administration, or a related field is required. A master’s degree and/or a professional certification in marketing or public relations is preferred.
Experience: At least five years of experience in marketing and/or communications in one or more of the following settings: education, not-for-profit, government, business and/or industry, is required. A record of success in progressively responsible positions is required. At least three years of management experience is required, as is experience on one or more of these areas: marketing, public relations, media relations, news and information, video production, photography, publications, or athletics communications.
Skills: Demonstrated leaderships skills are required. Management experience in staff development, budgeting, research, and customer service is required. Exceptional skills in communications, marketing, and interpersonal relations are required. The ability to develop and implement strategic communications and research-based marketing plans is required. Expertise in making presentations and negotiating with the media is required. A commitment to working with multi-cultural populations and an awareness of issues affecting women and minorities is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, and seminars. Frequent travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides leadership and vision for the University’s strategic and integrated marketing and communications functions.
2. Leads and directs the marketing, communications and public relations staff and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with all University departments.
3. Develops and executes a comprehensive, long-term and proactive University-wide communications, marketing, and branding strategy consistent with the strategic goals, plans, and aspirations of the University.
4. Creates a collegial, team-building work environment, motivating staff, and cultivating productive, collaborative relationships with all constituent groups.
5. Utilizes a research-based approach to identify key messages and audiences, works consistently to tell the University’s stories by weaving them together to create a consistent, unified message in support of the Missouri State University brand, and articulates the University’s image and brand in the delivery of the University’s message to all constituents.
6. Serves as the University’s brand manager, with the responsibility of positioning the University in the market, determining target audiences, and maintaining the desired reputation.
7. Plans and oversees the design and production of all marketing, public relations, and advertising products.
8. Ensures effective and efficient operation of the major units in University Relations (University Communications, Publications, Web and New Media, Photographic Services, and Athletics Communications) by coordinating unit plans, goals, and objectives, designing systems of effective controls to guide work toward expected outcomes, and evaluating progress towards their accomplishment.
9. Develops, executes, and oversees programs necessary to communicate the University’s mission and performance to the public.
10. Communicates the University’s position and policies on a variety of issues to specific media and to various University constituencies which includes serving as the University spokesperson with the media as appropriate.
11. Ensures a fiscally sound operation of Marketing and University Relations by exercising management practices and implementing income-generating activities which result in operations within allocated budgets.
12. Ensures continuity within the units of Marketing and University Relations by developing media relations policies, writing stories and scripts, initiating special publications, writing articles for publications, and performing other related hands-on functions.
13. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
14. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the President.
16. Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Vice President for Marketing and Communications is supervised by the President and supervises professional and support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES