TITLE Dean of the Graduate College
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1036
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Provost
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Dean of the Graduate College is responsible for the administration of the Graduate College. Areas of responsibility include providing leadership to the Graduate Council and overseeing graduate student recruitment, admissions, and degree completion. The Dean of the Graduate College works collaboratively with college deans to ensure the quality of all graduate programs. The Dean of the Graduate College facilitates the graduate assistantship process and the development of new graduate programs, coordinates program review, and administers internal research grants and the intellectual property policy. The Dean of the Graduate College serves as the liaison in communicating on graduate issues with administrators, faculty, students, and other constituents of the University.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A terminal degree in a discipline offered at Missouri State University is required.
Experience: A record of success in teaching, research and service is required. Evidence of sustained and effective work with graduate students and graduate programs is required. Qualifications consistent with tenure as a faculty member are required. Successful higher education experience in academic administration or administrative experience with grants or other program administration is required. Experience in budget, financial, and personnel management is preferred.
Skills: Demonstrated leadership ability is required, including a demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with University administrators, faculty, staff, and students. Evidence of commitment to principles promoting diversity and inclusion across faculty, staff, and students is required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Effective interpersonal skills and sensitivity to issues affecting a wide range of constituencies are required. A demonstrated commitment to high quality graduate education is required. An understanding of federal and state legislation and compliance issues that affect research and grant management, personnel decisions, and the delivery of quality educational services to students is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
1. Provides leadership for graduate education by overseeing and coordinating all graduate programs and graduate certificates and working in partnership with other colleges, the academic departments, and external constituents to achieve the University’s mission in graduate education.
2. Administers the academic processes and events within the Graduate College, including the recruitment of graduate students, the graduate application and admission process, approval and monitoring of students’ Programs of Study, student completion of comprehensive examination, research requirements (i.e., thesis), graduation, scholastic actions, grievances, appeals, and permissions.
3. Manages the budgets and financial affairs of the Graduate Cost Center and supervises personnel of the Graduate College Office.
4. Coordinates the production of the Graduate Catalog and other publications of the Graduate College, including the website.
5. Facilitates and approves appointments of graduate assistantships, provides initial training for teaching assistants, and provides professional development opportunities for all graduate students.
6. Leads the growth and development of the graduate programs by coordinating the work of the Graduate Council and its subcommittees, overseeing the review and approval of graduate-level course curricular changes, and assisting faculty and departments in the development and approval of new graduate programs, graduate faculty appointments, and policy development and implementation.
7. Administers interdisciplinary graduate programs reporting to the Graduate College, such as the Master of Science of Administrative Studies.
8. Promotes and stimulates academic research working in collaboration with the Vice President for Research and Economic Development on various strategies to stimulate research, such as supplemental pay policies, start-up equipment funding, and other research initiatives.
9. Coordinates the work of the Faculty Grants Committee including monitoring the associated University awards recommended by the committee.
10. Oversees and coordinates the responsibilities of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, the Bio-safety Committee, the Institutional Review Board of the Protection of Human Participants, and the University Intellectual Property Committee and serves as liaison for patent applications and intellectual property issues.
11. Represents the University by serving as the Institutional Official (IO) for research and compliance issues to various federal agencies, including research misconduct (Office of Research Integrity, Public Health Service), animal care and use (United States Department of Agriculture and the Public Health Service), bio-safety compliance (National Institutes of Health), radiation safety (Nuclear Regulatory Commission), research using human subjects (OHRP), and export control.
12. Coordinates the academic program review process for graduate programs and works with the Provost’s Office, academic departments, and the Office of Institutional Research to achieve efficiency and progressive outcomes from these review processes.
13. Serves on the Academic Leadership Council and various internal and external committees to promote the University and enhance the graduate and research missions of the University.
14. Elevates the academic reputation of Missouri State University by taking leadership roles in selected regional and national organizations and through active work in scholarly presentations and publications.
15. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
16. Supports the overall success of the University by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Dean of the Graduate College is supervised by the Provost and supervises professional and administrative support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES