TITLE Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia Program
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2426
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Head, Biomedical Sciences
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, College of Health and Human Services
The Program Director administers the daily operations of the Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesia Program and the Doctorate of Nurse Anesthesia Program and assures compliance with the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Program’s Standards and Guidelines. The doctorally-prepared Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) has the leadership authority and accountability for program administration.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice (DNAP), a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), or a PhD in an appropriate discipline from an accredited institution of higher education is required.
Experience: Administrative and leadership experience is required.
Certifications/Licensure: Current certification or current recertification by the National Board of Certification and Recertification for Nurse Anesthetists (NBCRNA) is required. A current unencumbered license or privilege to practice as a registered professional nurse (RN) and/or Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) in the state of Missouri is required or must be obtained by the date of employment.
Skills: The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures compliance with the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Program’s Standards and Guidelines.
2. Provides information about the program, reviews applications to the program, interviews applicants, communicates with applicants regarding application status, provides applications for admission to the Admission Committee, and participates in Admission Committee meetings twice annually.
3. Coordinates with appropriate University offices for providing information and processing applications for various student loan programs, Pell grants, federally and state insured loans, veterans’ educational assistance programs and provides necessary signatures.
4. Documents, validates, and coordinates educational activities of the Nurse Anesthetist Program by developing student clinical assignments and the associated schedule, managing the didactic schedule, reviewing teaching and exam schedules, assigning and evaluating didactic and clinical instructors, reviewing student transcripts and assisting in the preparation of the semi-annual student status list, and serving as administrative advisor for all nurse anesthesia students.
5. Communicates as needed with the Department of Education, the Missouri Department of Secondary Education, the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Programs, and the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (AANA).
6. Serves as chair or ex-officio member of all committees and boards related to the nurse anesthesia program and attends the annual meeting of nurse anesthesia program faculty.
7. Completes AANA self-evaluation studies and attends the annual AANA meeting as well as state anesthesia meetings.
8. Maintains the current student handbook.
9. Prepares and manages the program budget.
10. Facilitates an environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed, demonstrating knowledge of environmental issues that may influence the program and nurse anesthesia practice by engaging in professional development.
12. Supports the Nurse Anesthetist Program by performing all other duties as assigned and is full-time.
The Program Director, Nurse Anesthesia Program is supervised by the Head, Biomedical Sciences and supervises the Assistant Program Director and administrative support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JULY 2015