9311 Director, Center for Biomedical and Life Sciences
TITLE Director, Center for Biomedical and Life Sciences
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9311
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center (JVIC)
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Research & Economic Development
The primary job duty of the Director, CBLS is to provide leadership, direction, fiscal management, and overall supervision of activities, including research and business management, of the CBLS sub-unit. The Director conducts institutional planning and formulates policies for a CASE sub-unit. The Director organizes and staffs the research teams and supervises research assistants, graduate assistants, student workers, and others who work on various special projects. The Director coordinates the resources of federal, state, and local governments with the resources of the University and the private sector to promote growth, expansion, innovation, increased productivity, and management innovation in Southwest Missouri.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or a Business discipline is required.
Experience: Five years of experience that demonstrates progressively increasing responsibilities for program development, project management, budgeting, and administration are required. At least two of these years must be in a responsible supervisory capacity with comprehensive management responsibilities. Experience at an institution of higher education is preferred.
Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Effective organizational skills are required. Supervisory skills are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to write concise analytical reports which are directed to specific readership is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: This position is designated “sensitive” as defined by University policy. This position may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations. Participation in occasional evening or weekend activities is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift and carry materials weighing up to fifty pounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures that the work of the CBLS sub-unit is consistent with its mission by providing advanced technology, research, development, technical support, and educational programs that advance the competitiveness of industries in Southwest Missouri.
2. Facilitates an interdisciplinary approach to serve the research, development, technical, and educational needs of industry by working with University academic administrators and faculty to encourage participation in research projects, developing new and existing bioscience interdisciplinary programs and internships, securing commitments from colleges for these programs, and assisting with program assessment.
3. Assists the product-oriented research and development efforts of local businesses by supporting industrial projects, including medical device development, biological and chemical analyses, and research and development and providing employee training workshops for new and developing technologies.
4. Facilitates the collaboration of local industry, students, and faculty by communicating the mission and goals of the CBLS sub-unit to local business leaders, company representatives, University administration and faculty, students, community leaders, and state and federal representatives.
5. Helps to assure the financial viability of the CBLS sub-unit by securing external funding, overseeing external funding efforts of the CBLS sub-unit, and providing oversight activities for funded grants and contracts.
6. Assures the research performed at the CBLS sub-unit is consistent with the mission by supervising technical aspects of research and supervising CBLS-funded laboratories.
7. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director, JVIC.
8. Contributes to the overall success of CBLS by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director is supervised by the Director, JVIC and supervises staff, faculty, and students assigned to CBLS projects.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2011